Author Topic: Wheres the rain gone?  (Read 1439 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Wheres the rain gone?
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:54:41 »
I dont want this to sound like a moan, but whats happened to the fabled 'April Showers' then?

I dont know about anyone else but my garden could do with a drop of rain now, if only to water the potted and newly planted stuff. We seem to have gone rapidly from one extreme to the other in a few short weeks. I have areas of soil in my garden that have dirty great cracks in it (i guess where the heavy rain compacted it and formed a crust).

I shall be having to water next!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Wheres the rain gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:57:30 »
Had to get the hosepipe out last weekend as some of the new plants were looking a bit sad.  Ok, I garden on sand, but even so, this is the earliest so far I've had to resort to watering.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:40:37 »
I was thinking the same, my veg plot has turned a grey colour instead of the nice brown it was (dried out).

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 16:46:41 »
My lovely London clay Essex garden is still sticky, so I am pleased that we have had no rain.  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 18:32:14 »
If we'd had rain, these would have been twice the size.

But I might not have wanted to go out & pick them!!

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 18:53:02 »
I think it is me that is causing this :D. After I planted my first early potatoes last year it virtually never rained till I dug them. I planted the same variety last Saturday and according to Metcheck here we go again. Sorry ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 20:17:02 »
well, we got some this morning, not for long but enough to water everything in  :)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 21:18:33 »
I have already nearly emptied the 200 litre water butt in my garden this week, just watering in the g/house and all the various pots around the garden. It only collects from the conservatory roof, and in my estimation will take 1/2 to 3/4 " of rain to fill it back up.
I suppose it'll be back to using the hose if we get no rain?
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 21:19:08 »
global warming? climates are changing everywhere. It's positively mediterranean here in Edinburgh. I've been working in t-shirt for days. (normally winter woolies at this time of year)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 00:34:02 »
Would Monday suit you, GC? It's just that I plan to wash the windows over the Bank Holiday. Depending on how heavy you want it, I could do the car as well?

;D ;D ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 23:28:42 »
If anyone saw Gardeners World tonight you will have seen that they, like EJ still have quite damp soil. I dont know if i am jealous or relieved. Back a month ago i was moaning my soil was too wet (at least in some places). Now i am apparently moaning it is too dry! Well not really. Whilst I curse my soil sometimes, to give it its credit it has dried out nicely (considering all the rain  we had) and i can work it easily.

It would just be nice to have a bit of rain to water in all those plants i m moving and planting at the moment. My water butts are going down at a shocking rate, (I have 4), and its only easter! And to think not so long ago they were overflowing so much I was having to dump large amounts of water down the drain! Perhaps i need a few more water butts. That or one of those big underground tanks (££££s :o) linked to all the down pipes.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 23:31:00 »
We had a lot of rain last Friday as I spent the day on the plot and got soaked to the skin!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 21:45:25 »
My allotment is like dust - but wahey!  they turned the water back on today so great said I and got out the watering can - only to find that a tap had sprung a leak somewhere and it had had to be turned off again. :(

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 22:05:45 »
Got back from a week in Portugal today, & think we could have saved some money and got the same weather at home. >:( But the beaches were lovely and the wildflowers were beautiful- I suppose I knew that lavender grows wild in warmer climates but seeing it was a different matter!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal