Author Topic: Soya Bean Germination  (Read 4660 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Soya Bean Germination
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:05:22 »
I bought Ustie soya beans last year and sowed some recently. I tried chitting them first but most of them rotted very quickly and a few that developed root didn't germinate properly after planting.
What am I doing wrong? Do you think the seeds became old already? The packet says packed in the year ending Sep 2006.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Soya Bean Germination
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:33 »
If they rotted, then it sounds like they were kept too wet, and maybe too cold especially overnight. having said that I confess to never having tried to grow soya beans, but the same applies to many seeds.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:27:38 »
Thanks quizzical. :) They were soaked overnight first. Do you think that made the beans too wet? Will use a propagator this time so that the temperature doesn't drop in the evening.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:55:43 »
Tora, soya seeds are fragile, you need to be quite careful when planting them,I am told that the poor germination usually come s from rough handling or too wet,start the same way as you would for beans, warmth help, you need a quick germination to avoid rot. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:49:34 »
Thanks for your advice, Jeannine. :)

This time I soaked the beans for a few hours, put them on moist kitchen towel in a container with a lid. It's in a propagator and kept warm but the bean seem to be doing nothing, no sign of root... :(

Do you know how long soya beans stay viable?

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:28 »
On a slight tangent - where did you get them from? I have bought quite a few beans and peas to set off but haven't seen any packets of soya bean seed.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:16:58 »
Tora, I have only grown them once or twice and that was some years ago. My old notes tell me I grew Early Hakucho.

I have made no notes re germination but have noted some damaged seeds which I chucked out,I  have put "barely made it to maturity" and underlined it,and that was in BC which is warmer than here,however the variety here might be better than the one I used.

Bean seeds usually keep 3 years officially but I have kept them much longer, however soya beans are very easily cracked so they probably don't keep very long, I am guessing on this one though You could try using a bean innoculant if it is available here,I would think so, it prevents the beans from rotting.
I don't know a UK source.

I think they should have been started before now though,I have transplanted June 6th , but haven't noted sowing dates.

Not much help I am afraid but it is all I know,have a google by variety name.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 14:05:05 »
Thank you again Jeannine.

I bought the seeds only last year so hopefully I can sow them next year. Ustie is supposed to be suitable for UK climate but I don't know anybody who grew and had a success with it so I'm not sure how well it's supposed to do.

I'm going to store the beans in a tin and try not to damage them until next spring... :)

becky, I bought Ustie from Thompson & Morganwhen it was half price. The packet contains 400 seeds so it works out quite cheap (if you manage to get a crop, that is!). :D
Here you can see it. http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/833/2

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 14:10:40 »
Tora if you contact T&M and tell them about you zero germination I think they will replace them XX Jeannine

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 14:44:02 »
It would be brilliant if they can replace them! I will contact T&M. Thank you for letting me know. ;)

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 13:49:03 »
Been having a browse through the pages and logged in for the first time in ages!  I tried sowing Ustie a few weeks backs and have had zero germination also.    So You aren't the only one Tora.   I'm going to try sowing some more tomorrow.

Mark

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 16:49:20 »
Is this a starfish, a plant   or something you were going to tell us about. I sure isn't a soya bean XXX Jeannine

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 23:29:20 »
I have also failed with my first sowing of Ustie.  Trying again between damp paper towel in a lidded supermarket carton in the kitchen but so far nothing. Will keep you informed.  These look like they may become a challenge.

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:44:57 »
Is this a starfish, a plant   or something you were going to tell us about. I sure isn't a soya bean XXX Jeannine

For some reason, the 'starfish'(its actually a fungus) which is my profile pic has come out huge, so I have now removed it.   

I will try again with the soya beans either today or tomorrow, hopefully more luck this time

Mark

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 10:00:14 »
The batch I put in a propagator didn't germinate. It was warm and just moist, not wet.

I've now contacted T&M and told that I've had zero germination and there are other people who have had the same problem. Hope they reply...

Mark and Raisedbed, you should contact T&M too. Let's hope they will do something about it. :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 08:31:43 »
I also got Ustie from T&M . Mine have all germinated.
I think the trick is to treat them like sweetcorn and leave them some light. I usually do this by growing them in a plastic cup dibbing the hole , put bean in but dont fill the hole after it.
Its a tip i got from allotments4 all!
works for lots of seed that tend to rot such as zinnas to!

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:39:42 »
Sunloving, that sounds like a good tip! I'm going to use the method for my beans. Will try it with soya beans next year too. I didn't know they need light to germinate... :D

I got a reply from T&M and they say they are sending me a new packet. :)

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 23:13:07 »
Thanks Sunloving - I will also try that next.  My attempt at trying to germinate them between damp paper towel failed.  They all rotted.  Perhaps it will be 3rd time lucky.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 17:27:22 »
hope it works for you guys and that in no time we will be asking how to cook soya? :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal