Author Topic: what can be grown near part rotted manure???  (Read 1992 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
what can be grown near part rotted manure???
« on: May 14, 2004, 15:09:18 »
I've discovered part of my plot is alot more clay than I thought, and I just cannot dig it.  SO I was going to mulch it quite heavy with part rotted manure, and plant something intermittently to use it a bit this year.

I know I can do courgette, pumpkin, squash.  Is there anything else??  Will my melons be alright in it?  Cucumber??  Any other suggestions?  Just anything so teh space isnt completely wasted.  For me pumpkins was gonna dig a hole fill that with manure then mulch all round and plant in the mound.

thanks in advance

ken

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:what can be grown near part rotted manure???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 22:16:19 »
I shall be growing all of my squash types using the pile of poo method  ;D.  As for other things that won't mind manure...hmm...well no to root crops.....I am wondering if beans would be okay.....come one experts...would beans and peas be okay?

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 09:20:54 »
Is a cucumber a squash? lol.

Actually, good call EJ, yeah beans will work too, though they usually like well dug soil which I am not providing, they can take strongish manure (as in winter all my plot stick raw new manure on their bean trench).  Might give that a whirl too.

Lots of pumpkins and squashes coming my way then *chuckles*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 18:10:26 »
I believe squash is a general term which includes all the cucumber, melon, guord, pumpkin, marrow and courgette family (and any others that I may have forgotten).  Good to know about the beans as I have access to plenty of fresh stable poo so will bung loads in the trench in the autumn once the beans have finished beaning!  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 20:42:14 »
Sorry to be a bit boring but sprouts and cauliflowers would love it.

Stephan.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 20:42:53 by cleo »

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 11:36:23 »
Really Stephan?  I never even considered them.  Itd work well too actually, because not digging the soil, and caulis and stuff love soil to be hard and stable eh.

Great, will bung some of those in too.

cheers all

Ken

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal