Author Topic: Making Babies!!!!!  (Read 2120 times)

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
Making Babies!!!!!
« on: May 15, 2004, 12:53:17 »
Well , I thought that would get your attention!!! ;D

My herb bed (planted last year) is looking good, but I wanted some more thyme and oregano to fill in some gaps - hence the "Making Babies" title ;)

I have some lovely thyme (common and lemon), and two lovely plants of oregano - so I don't want seeds - I want to propagate from what I have. Do I have to take cuttings or do I split the rootball?

Thanks,

Tricia :-*

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Re:Making Babies!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 14:34:53 »
Dont you have to this in autumn/winter tho?  Thyme you definitely divide (every 3 years you should divide it), oregano I cant remember.

HTH

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 16:40:04 »
Hi guys - I did at first wonder of this was one for the Watershed!

If you scrape back the soil from the oregano branches you may well find some have rooted out  - just snip them off the main plant and pot them up.  I keep mine moist and shady for the first week or so and gradually bring them back into full sun.  If you can't find any that are rooted - try pegging down a new branch or two - they should root very quickly.

You may find the same with the thyme although I always have to take heeled cuttings in autumn.

Stephan is the man for herbs - I'm sure he'll be able to guide you better than most!
AC  8)
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 17:01:24 »
All the herbs mentioned sread quickly and can be easily divided to make new plants, particularly herbs like marjoram and oregano. I have these in a small herb bed i my garden, planted a couple of years ago, and are now due for dividing to rejuvinate the bed.

Not sure about the best tine to do it though :-\. I suppose the same as herbaceous ornamentals, early/mid spring or autumn, (so a bit late to do it now).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 18:05:22 »
I divide at all the wrong times, if I need the space, I cut lumps out!  My oregano is all over the place in my garden, and I just dig lumps out and replant where I want it, plenty of water, and it seems to be just fine!  ;D Good luck!

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 18:08:11 »
Thanks All!!!!!

Tricia :-*

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 20:39:11 »
nothing more to add really- but do try Greek Oregano-it`s fiery hot but just the job for some dishes.

Stephan.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 11:33:29 »
On the subject of babies, never realised that garlic had 10 stems in the stem. Blindingly obvious, I suppose? = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 09:58:56 »
Thyme works from cuttings, just snip of a few tips and bung them in a pot -very easy (it has to be it's worked for me and I haven't got cuttings sussed at all)

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal