Author Topic: Mantis starting trouble  (Read 1691 times)

biffabear

• Not So New ...
Mantis starting trouble
« on: April 02, 2007, 20:59:33 »
Hi just bought a mantis tiller + used it for the first time on w/e . It took about 10 mins to start it (following book instructions). It worked well after that and when turned off started first time during the mornings tilling.
Tried again tonite but it would not even splutter let alone start up .There
seemed to be no life in it at all . Very frustrating  can anyone help ???
Thanks

stuartallotment

Re: Mantis starting trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 21:34:21 »
Hi
Not had experiences with rotavators but got engineering back ground. I will assume you have checked fuel level ok. Is it trying to start when you pull the cord? Does the resistance on the pull cord feel the same as before? I am unsure if these are 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines do you have to mix oil with fuel? if mixed oil did you mix correct ratio? I am unsure what you are like with tools but worth removing spark plug to see if clean from oil. Can check spark if you disconnect plug from engine connect lead back onto spark plug and rest metal thread of spark plug on the engine metal block to make connection. Then pull cord and should see spark at end of plug. If no spark bad connection or ignition circuit faulty. Please let me know more I will do my best to advise.
Stuart 

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 21:53:55 »
I have a mantis and can't start it (what a girl!) but OH can but can take several attempts when first used.

I suggest you contact Mantis, they offer excellent levels of customer service.

Good luck

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:36:06 »
Yes you can experience loads of trouble with these little engines - personally if a machine hasn't got a honda or stihl engine i wouldn't go near it

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:27 »
Agree with SMP.

As to Hondas, the fuel lever is down when off & up when on. So illogical!!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 17:10:55 »
My little Mantis starts every time. Turn to on at handle. Give the bubble a couple of pokes. Pull out the choke. Gently but firmly tug the starter cable - maybe twice til it makes a dainty cough to indicate she is ready to work. Stop. Push in choke. Tug starter again. Should go OK - give it a few seconds and then rev her up. The people at Mantis have a high reputation for helping customers, so if this doesn't work, ring them.
Chantenay.

biffabear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 19:39:26 »
Thanks stuart , yes 2 stroke engine fuel was measured . Will investigate
Weds . Thanks to all who replied.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 21:49:19 »
My mantis has a Honda engine!  Did you remember to open the choke and pump the thingy before starting???

delaney

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 20:37:24 »
My little Mantis starts every time. Turn to on at handle. Give the bubble a couple of pokes. Pull out the choke. Gently but firmly tug the starter cable - maybe twice til it makes a dainty cough to indicate she is ready to work. Stop. Push in choke. Tug starter again. Should go OK - give it a few seconds and then rev her up. The people at Mantis have a high reputation for helping customers, so if this doesn't work, ring them.

if you miss the cough there is a good chance that you have flooded it so best leave for a short spell then try again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal