Author Topic: Composting last years spuds  (Read 825 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Composting last years spuds
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:03:51 »
If i put all my left over spud varieties into one sack I would have 1/2 sack of octopus like shrivelled unattractive spuds.

I have 3 options compost, feed to hens, throw away

to compost I would have to stop them growing, what should I do smash them all to a pulp with a big hammer?
to feed to the hens I would have to at least par boil which would mean washing them all and most of these are small potatoes  :(
throwing them out is a waste and against my organic/freegan/recycling principles

any ideas other than make 147 mr potato heads

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
Re: Composting last years spuds
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:29 »
I've always get in a lather about composting old potatoes too. I also worry about potato peelings. This harks back to my grandfather's advice which was don't do it. I'd also like some advice here.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:55:34 »
I compost potato peelings but not the leaves. If in doubt - bin'em or burn 'em as opposed to run the risk of disease in the ground with the possibility of ruining future crops. I have hens and dont feed spud peelings to them at all. Dont kow why, I just dont. Though they get most other stuff thogh.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:21 »
Thought I would share this.My Mums chickens years ago got the spud peelings, she had a big pot and dropped all the left over veg in including the spud peelings, she then boiled it for about 15 mins,smashed it up amd mixed it with chicken mash including the fluid..

The chickens loved it

War time idea probably

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 13:12:55 »
and they give you free manure as a bonus...
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal