Author Topic: The pigeons won't get these!  (Read 1143 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
The pigeons won't get these!
« on: April 03, 2007, 19:48:06 »
Have run out of space in minigreenhouses, and can't put them in the ground and I'm waiting for a load to be delivered - put these out last night and they couldn't get near them today ;D ;D

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: The pigeons won't get these!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 19:50:16 »
what plants are they, ninnyscrops? 

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 19:57:22 »
I would put some netting over the canes, pigeons will eat them if they can get between them, another plot holder told me that he saw pigeons putting their heads through some cage holes just to get his cabbage plants.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 20:00:20 »
Don't tell Jeannine, but they are maximum brussel sprouts - I've grown them super early because hubby didn't have any at Christmas so I'm making amends.  ::)

I've measure the width and they can't fly up to the table or down from the shed as some of the canes bend in. They just sit up in the oak figuring out how to get in there   ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 20:16:36 »
strange birds, aren't they, they remind me of some school kids when i was there, many years ago, used to be called 'plodders'..sit there and work it out..ours have been nibbling the broadies through the chicken wire as they've grown  ;D

by the way, we've just planted early half tall sprouts out, shhhh

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 20:31:24 »
Don't mind them as long as they leave me some....  planted peas to overwinter last year, strong winds blew the netting down one night, following morning not a pea plant to be found. 
Put my sweet pea seedlings in on Saturday with a chicken wire ring run twice round - they won't get through that either  ;D Wouldn't mind but a baby fell out of the tree a couple of years ago,  put it in a box up on the table, covered it at night, parents flew down and fed it during the day. This went on for a whole week - did I get a thank you note - still waiting!

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:27 »
Whilst planting broad bean seeds earlier in the year pigeon swooped in and pinched the paper bag they were all in - spread my broads all over the allotments! :o
 If I'd have had a cane I'd have shown him what for. He did drop the bag in the end, once it was empty - grrrrr >:(

Pigeons 1 Mouse 0 the battle continues  ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal