Author Topic: Too hot?  (Read 1279 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Too hot?
« on: March 31, 2007, 02:44:02 »
Put a SuperSprouter and a root trainer into the airing cupboard last w.e. with a mixture of toms and chillies. Now I know that some chillies often take a couple of weeks (or more) to show, but even the tomatoes are not showing yet. Is there such a thing astoo hot?

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
Re: Too hot?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:40:50 »
yes

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:50 »
Yes - but unless your tank is unlagged, it is most unlikely that that's your problem.
 Put a thermometer in?

Here are some typical timings.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:22:05 »
Thanks chaps.

Have moved them lower in the cupboard where it's a bit less warm and stuck a thermometer in there.

The ones in the electric propagator took 2 weeks so I may be worrying about nothing :-\

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:08:35 »
Regarding the chillies, they need a temperature somewhere between 25-30oC to germinate. Different species of chilli pop up quicker than others.  I tend to sow small amounts frequently ie no more than 6 seeds at a time.

Once they pop up I transfer them to a sunny window sill and turn them frequently to prevent uneven growth. I remove them at night. Even with double glazing it gets cold behind the curtains. I don't have a greenhouse so my lounge is a bit of a hothouse at the moment!

I normally give the chillies about 3 weeks to germinate. If they don't pop up, I try some more. Chilli growing is addictive. I've got loads on the go and any excess plants will get given away to friends.
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 13:52:53 »
I get my toms up in the cupboard with teh water tank in about four days, and chilies in a week or so. If the toms at least aren't germinating, I'd be more inclined to think the temperature's too low. they do sulk at higher temperatures, but of it's going over 30, your tank needs attention badly.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:38:12 »
We have a constant circulation hot water system. The tank doesn't feature much and feels relatively cool. The cupboard, and in fact the small room it's in, was designed for drying. The hot water and the radiator pipes to the rest of the house all run through the cupboard  unlagged, so I suppose it's no surprise it's - wait for it - 36degC!  (In the middle of the house so heat doesn't go to waste). OH has banned propagators from the room itself which would be ideal - not enough space she says, and I expect the seeds are ruined but just in case have moved them to GH heated propagator where there's room because the first chillies have now come out.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 16:21:36 »
Who needs a cooker??

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:47:24 »
 ;D

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 19:24:24 »
Great stats Tim - you are very organised
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal