Author Topic: Broad Bean weevel  (Read 8330 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Broad Bean weevel
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:22:21 »
Just inspecting my board beans yesterday which are about to crop and discovered a black weevil with a spotty stripey back (here we go again!! >:() it had its head stuck in the flowers and looked more like a foe than a friend!! Looked on the net to see if i could find anything, zilch! the plants look fine BTW, any help appreciated xx

Biscombe

• Hectare
Re: Broad Bean weevel
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:15:27 »
Update, Its a Beetle, it may be a type of weevil, it has a white spotty back not stripy and its black
Any ideas?? Have I got another quite rare pest!! Last year its was the harlequin bug and again the swede midge has reared its ugly head!! the joys of organic gardening!! out with the prethryn and neem!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 13:08:20 »
Not one I'm familiar with sorry!
(Not really you can keep it!)
 ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 15:15:18 »
Ah yes  ;D The Broad Bean Weevil :D One of my better genetic inventions :D

I started studying various types of weevil in 1969, at the age of four, with the sole purpose of interbreeding them to produce a strain entirely dedicated to wiping out this hideous freak of vegetation.

After several years of problems (including inadvertantly producing a Heinz Baked Bean Weevil and, bizarrely enough, a Crabstick Weevil) I finally unleashed a flock of my finest broad bean vigilante vermin on the world in September 1981.

I initially had difficulty deciding which colour scheme to go with. Biscombe! Whaddya think to the black & white spot combo? All feedback gratefully received :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 21:47:38 »
it's the Evil Weevil checking out your plot. Beware!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:52 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 13:40:27 »
Bring em on Trix  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 17:35:36 »
Well what a way to spend a day, A sorta Canadian, sitting in England,reading an American book to identify a Spanish bug, I have to get a life.

Call it George and pretend it's a friend!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 17:03:14 »
Biscomb think I have one too - haven't seen it, but the evidence is serated / chomped leaf edges ... is it going to eat my beans ?  The flowers have just opened.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 17:38:29 »
Ah yes! The evidence of serated leaf edges and a 'missing' predator  ;D

I have trained them well  ;D

MC55: Your question "Is it going to eat my beans" can be answered by ME!

I have set up an elaborate communication device in my cellar which tracks the progress of my 'ickle baby weevils'. They report back to me on a daily basis using morse code and include exact location and damage capacity.

I understand that you are in the Sheffield region?

Please let me know your exact postcode and I will be in touch with the South Yorkshire division of my little army forthwith.

I require little else than a few bottles of wine to divert my armies elsewhere and away from your allotment.

Trixie

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 17:41:39 »
I'm sure Nick told us on the Barnsdale course that they are fine... so dont worry about them... they chomp a bit but shouldnt cause concern.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 18:08:07 »
I'm sure Nick told us on the Barnsdale course that they are fine... so dont worry about them... they chomp a bit but shouldnt cause concern.

... aw Trix - and I'd just crated up the wine !  Stop being mean to the beanz or I'll all send you my spares ... LOL

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 17:41:40 »
I've got loads of em. I think they only attack the leaves. In fact mine look very pretty. If anyone knows any different please let me know cos we love broad beans and I would hate to lose them. That first meal of babybroad beans, bacon and new potatoes is bloody lovely.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 17:46:34 »
there seems to be two simultaneous threads on the broad bean weevil. Not sure which is the lesser of the two...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 17:53:29 »
MY flock are definitely not 'lesser' :D

COME FLY BACK TO ME MY PRETTIES! TELL MOMMY TRIXIE ABOUT YOUR WEEVILISH EXPLOITS!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 17:58:34 »

there seems to be two simultaneous threads on the broad bean weevil. Not sure which is the lesser of the two...
Well my dear this is the only thread I can see about it but then I have had a hard day at the allotment and am sitting here having my Martini aperitif so please forgive me if I have lost the bloomin weevil plot. Cheers!!!!!!!!!
                             I want em saying

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 18:01:40 »
.... . .-.. .-.. ---   -.. . .- .-.   -- --- - .... . .-.   - .-. .. -..- .. . .-- .   .... .- ...- .   .. -. ..-. .. .-.. - .-. .- - . -..   .- .-.. .-..   .--. .- .-. - ...   --- ..-.   .- .-.. .-..   --. .- .-. -.. . -. ...   - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... --- ..- -   - .... .   ..- -.- .-.-.- -.-- --- ..- .-.   -- .. ... ... .. --- -.   - ---   .-. .. -..   - .... .   .-- --- .-. .-.. -..   --- ..-.   -... .-. --- .- -..   -... . .- -. ...   .. ...   -. . .- .-. .-.. -.--   -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - . .-.-.-   .-- .   -... --- .--   -.. --- .-- -.   - ---   -.-- --- ..- .-.   --. .-. . .- - -. . ... ...   .- -. -..   .- ... -.-   ...- . .-. -.--   .-.. .. - - .-.. .   .. -.   .-. . - ..- .-. -.   .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-   .- .--. .- .-. -   ..-. .-. --- --   .--. .- .-. -.- .. -. --.   . -..- .--. . -. ... . ... .-.-.- .-- . .----. ...- .   ... .--. . -. -   .-   ..-. --- .-. - ..- -. .   --- -.   -.-. .- .-. -....- .--. .- .-. -.- .. -. --. .-.-.-   .... --- .--. .   -.-- --- ..- .----. .-.. .-..   -... .   .- -- . -. .- -... .-.. .   - ---   --- ..- .-.   .-. . --.- ..- . ... - .-.-.- -... . .- -. .. .

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 18:02:52 »

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 18:20:52 »
-.. .- -.--   - .... .   - .... .. .-. - . . -. - ....   -.... -.... -.... ..--.. .... --- .--   -.-. --- --- .-..   .. ...   - .... .. ...   -... -.--   - .... .   .-- .- -.-- ..--..

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 18:24:39 »
If you two want to speak in weevil language , it's ok by me I'm gonna get the tea and build up my sustenance for the big day at the plottie tomorra. Nightie night
                             I want em saying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal