Author Topic: Shortage of Honey Bees ?  (Read 1638 times)

bombus

• Quarter Acre
Shortage of Honey Bees ?
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:42:08 »
There was talk yesterday at the Lincoln Bee auction of heavy winter losses. This reflected in the price of live Bees, 40+ Hives of Bees were sold for up to £180 per hive. It was good to see many people new to the craft present too, although this pushed the price of the equipment on offer up. All in all it was a very enjoyable day, its good to meet like minded people and have a good natter.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Shortage of Honey Bees ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 00:52:16 »
Our neighbour on the allotment is a beekeeper and he says his bees are doing better than usual for the time of year. Looking over at the hives they certainly seem busy.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:22:12 »
Glad you had a good time, bombus.

I can understand why the price of bees is high. Our beekeepers' association is anticipating that there may not be many 'spare' bees for our beginners this year, because several members who might otherwise have donated some have lost colonies over winter. Add to that the terrifying news from the States about Colony Collapse Disorder and I think everyone's nervous.  :-\ 

That may well change, though, as spring settles in. I know I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping my bees carry on as well as they're doing at the moment.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:46:32 »
I had a bad winter due to the aftermath of a large influx of mites from other peoples' collapsing hives. The problem round here is due to mites which have become resistant to the main miticide used by beekeepers; I can't speak for other areas.

I have found a local source of replacements though.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 15:06:26 »
Hoping all your little buzzies be happy and healthy this year. x
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 15:11:07 »
 ;D thankies, emmy (from my little buzzies, anyway)!

On the menu today (for the bees, not me!) -- ornamental cherry, flowering currant, and plum blossom nectar. Ooo I hope the weather holds; I could do with some spring honey.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal