Author Topic: Self-Blanching Celery  (Read 1979 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Self-Blanching Celery
« on: March 31, 2007, 15:53:11 »
Advice needed, please....

My only previous attempt to grow this, a couple of years ago, was a total failure. I did everything I was told to on the packet (at least, I thought I had, but obviously hadn't!) but they didn't grow. I planted them out in a block, watered them well and they just sat there for months, barely doubling in size. Everything else was romping away, but not the celery. I used a few leaves in the stock pot, but the bulk of the crop went for compost.

OK, I'm trying again. A variety called "Lathom Self-Blanching", sowed in the propagator at the end of February; now in the GH ready to prick into modules. The packet says plant out May/June. Shall I manure the site now? (I've got masses of horse dung.) For convenience, I put them in the same bed as the carrot & beet last time, but would the tomato bed be better, as they seem to need the same sort of treatment (ie. lots of goodness & watering)?

Anyone grown it successfully?

(My father used to grow the wonderful blanched celery the old-fashioned way, in trenches. But he did use rather a lot of soot!)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Self-Blanching Celery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 16:39:07 »
Don't know about which site, but choose the wettest.

1. Yes to manure. Lots. And some general fertiliser.
2. Can't suggest why yours should not have grown.
3. Water - what is 'well'? But doubt that that would have prevented them at least getting going.
    When they do get going, I would think at least 1/2 gal per plant per day?
4. Also, when growing, liquid fertiliser once or twice.
5. Usually slugs are the biggest problem. I have to use pellets - & keep them renewed. Because the plants are so close together, no 'friend' can get at them.
5. It is recommended that you put straw amongst the outer plants to help blanching, but there may be some danger of this encouraging slugs?
6. It can be grown - we used to sell it at the WI.
7. Ours was poor last year because it produced as many side shoots as heart ones. But still worthwhile. Best to have succession?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 16:44:08 by tim »

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 17:44:38 »
I grew celery for the first time last year and each one was enormous, about three times the weight of a shop one :) Unfortunately each comprised of about 20 heads and were full of soil. :(  The whole lot went on the compost. Someone must know the secret. ???

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 17:54:32 »
Obviously I didn't water enough. Nor liquid fertilizer. Thanks Tim - I think I've got tomorrow's job sorted: dig out a bed, plenty of muck. Chicken pellets when I plant? And a comfrey feed? Yes, think I'll put them on the end of the tomato bed. Hope OH will be delighted - she loves celery!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 17:56:37 »
even if they're not good for eating raw, they make lovely soup and bits for in stew  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 18:08:57 »
I'll have to get mine started thanx for the reminder Trevor.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 18:17:48 »
Why is a question about celery in the Edible Plants section?  ;) Please get Dan to move it  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 18:24:05 »
Lovely crunchy celery dipped in salt  yum yum. ;D ;D ;D :P :P ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 18:25:48 »
Hen food, Trixie??

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 18:48:46 »
I think shes feeling PECKish.   ;D ;D ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:31:43 »
We grew a block of 20 self blanching. during the dry spell gave them one large watering can every other day or so.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 11:34:56 »
Lucky you if it worked - but NOT enough!!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 13:27:27 »
Well, She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks it's edible. So He Who Must Do The Work is under marching orders to pour buckets-ful of water on their heads every day without fail! Just off to the plot to dig a barrow-load of manure into their intended site.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 14:49:41 »
I'm putting them in a slight trench so any water runs into the celery  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 16:18:19 »
Crafty?

Wonder if planting through weed-suppressant/slug off-putting fabric would help?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 20:54:54 »
Obviously I didn't water enough. Nor liquid fertilizer. Thanks Tim - I think I've got tomorrow's job sorted: dig out a bed, plenty of muck. Chicken pellets when I plant? And a comfrey feed? Yes, think I'll put them on the end of the tomato bed. Hope OH will be delighted - she loves celery!

I'd say Lathom self-blanching is a good choice.  I grew some for the first time last year in pots.  Good homemade compost mix, organic fertiliser and watered daily and they were fine.  Here's the proof.  G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 21:02:33 »
What a superb crop.  I'll be really pleased with myself if my crop is as half as good as that  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 21:49:43 »
Thanks Flo.  I think it's just that when you only have a very small space in which to grow things they tend to get a lot more attention?  Bit like being an only child versus one of many!   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 02:44:47 »
Tim, I'm puzzled. We have sandy free draining soil, although I had bunged in a fair bit of compost, so presumably we ought to have watered even more than you recommend, but the crop was good. Do you think that we got away with less because it was sheltered by enviromesh?

They were only under mesh because we ran out of space and I planted them next to some brassicas which needed protection against the flying rats. Have put together a net cage so the same won't apply this year.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 08:27:29 »
Me too - truly don't know. Just know that on a clayey/loam, I never seem to water enough. It's always powder dry in the middle of the block.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal