Author Topic: Grape advice  (Read 1068 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Grape advice
« on: March 16, 2007, 16:26:40 »
My OH has fixed up some trellis on the end of our coalshed today. It is south facing and we were thinking of getting a grape vine. We would have to grow it in a pot. Can anyone recommend 1)a variety which would grow in North yorkshire and might even produce some grapes and 2) a reputable supplier?
Thanks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Grape advice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 16:36:20 »
In the days that I had a baby vineyard (8 vines) I found Deacons of The Isle of White very good.

Whether you will get ripe grapes in Tadcaster is a bit hit and miss but have a look=just google  Deacons IOW

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 19:07:35 »
I have found Regent very reliable here in Derby growing over an arbour on a south facing wall... not in a pot though...

;D
I was just enjoying a well earned beer having pruned it back to let the sun at the grapes, you can see the trimmings at the bottom... the leaves are edible by the way... Dolmades?
 8)

Looking upwards sept 05...

::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 19:10:34 by saddad »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 20:36:40 »
wow, saddad, that's given ray more inspiration after building' the conservatory' he's going to build an arbour over the seat we have already..lovely grapes, hope we get a couple of bunches this year  ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 14:53:20 »
WOW! That's really impressive Saddad  ;D

Are all grape vine leaves edible do you know?

Also, I have some grape seeds that my late uncle gave me from Lady Montgomery's (of 'Montgomery Cheese' fame!) kitchen garden. He used to live there by the way .. he wasn't scrumping ... honest!

They're 3 yrs old. Would they still germinate do you think?

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 14:57:33 »
Tixiebellr, I use my grape vines for cooking, I always have, I have never heard of one that you couldn't eat. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 14:59:44 »
Thanks Jeannine  ;D One more item to add to my 'harvest festival' wicker basket in the Summer  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 15:25:12 »
There are some ornamental vines whose leaves may not be edible but all wine/dessert grapes leaves should be...
 ;D

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 15:31:55 »
waw saddad - you could make money out of those by making wine :) You've got me inspired as well now - I think I'll do some grape vine research in a bit!

Pete

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 16:50:54 »
Trixiebelle, you can freeze them for during the winter, layer them between cling film and freeze is a platic container, do you need recipes, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 17:19:40 »
Thanks Saddad!

Jeannine: Thanks for the freezing tip - funnily enough I've just been TRYING to buy a chest freezer from Currys on-line. Why do they make it so bl***y difficult to BUY things nowadays  ::)

Felt like shouting over the phone: "LOOK! I'VE GOT £250 TO SPEND HERE! DO YOU WANT MY MONEY OR NOT?"

I tend to make my own recipes up (remember my leek dish!) but thanks for the offer XX

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 00:28:02 »
caroline7758

I have always found Derek at www.winegrowers.info very helpful.

Good luck.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 09:32:15 »
Hi Trixie, I did your leek dish, wee bit of tweeking, with a bit of extra sauce,lots of cream, and I added pasta to it, I had some in the freezer so it worked really well,thank you. I had come home with nothing ready to go and thought, leek dish. ready done pasta and was smashing. Next time I will stick to the recipe .

Thank you for the help. XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal