Author Topic: Dividing Globe Atichokes...advice please  (Read 805 times)

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
Dividing Globe Atichokes...advice please
« on: April 01, 2007, 14:28:07 »
My Globe Arties have started having babies and I want to know how best to divide them from the mummy plant to increase my crop. Should I pot them up or can I stick them straight into the ground? When is the best time for this and do they require any special feeding or protection?
Thanks....Dinger

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Dividing Globe Atichokes...advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 14:43:21 »
Hi Dingerbell!

My neighbour Dario's divided some of his and gave them to me last week. From what I saw, he just dug them up and ripped bits off 'em!

He said they would take a few days to perk up after planting and he was right (as per usual). Thought they were dead for a bit but they seen quite chipper this morning :) Just make sure they get watered every day until they're established. He didn't give me any instructions about feeding or compost so I just bunged 'em in.

Hope this helps.

Trixie

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 17:40:02 »
When you pull the side shoots off, try to keep a few roots attached and put them in pots or directly into the ground. They are easy to grow and strike quickly.
If you look at my site (still in development)

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

The 3 plants in the bed (two above the plastic covered one) on the top right picture were all grown from cuttings taken last spring and produced medium sized, edible, heads in the first year. Interestingly the mild winter has allowed them to grow continuously and the first buds, about the size of golf balls have formed.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 18:45:50 »
I agree with everything-tough as old boots artichokes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal