Author Topic: Nick names for lottie goers whose names you don't know  (Read 14353 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Nick names for lottie goers whose names you don't know
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:45:27 »
Does anyone else have names for their lottoe neighbours? |

Ours is a big lottie and in the beginning we used to say things like " eh you know the old guy with the green car etc" So nick names came up,

We have.............

Sticky Fingers cos he nicked our rhubarb

Sweetheart cos he is the most gentle person you could meet

Creeping Death because he moves 3 steps a minute, walks on to your lot,stares for a minute or two while you are sweating over something and says."well that won't work" or " I see you're wasting your time again" and this feeling of doom creeeps over you.

Cloth Ears cos he never actually hears what anyone says

Dum Dum.Dreary Man co he is the most boring monotone conversationalist.

Poop Poy coc he always manages to bring a bucket of manure into every conversation.

Fancy Pants cos he gardens in a suit

That's a start. I would love to hear yours.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: Nick names for lottie goers whose names you don't know
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 12:49:42 »
wonder what they call you ;) ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 13:05:52 »
Hmmm,  As our previous lottie site had only 15 plots spread between 9 holders & I kinda did the admin bits, I knew all their names ( and where they lived he he he), but when I lived in a cul de sac I had names for all the neighbours because of course, hardly anyone talked to eachother.

There was Mr Intense - totally A. Retentive, lined everything up, washed his garage door every week, washed & polished the car every Sunday morning 10am, got very uptight if you parked anywhere near his property.....

Mr & Mrs Reg - 'cos he looked like Reg Holdsworth off Corrie
Cycling Reg - 'cos he looked like Reg Holdsworth off Corrie & cycled to the station every morning
John & Judy Showhouse because they bought the site showhouse
The Schumakers because although they had lots of kids, they always screamed into the close & onto their driveway at high speed.
The Gay Divorcee' - Well, she was divorced ( she hadn't realised that the frosted glass over the front door didn't hide the fact she came down to breakfast first thing in the nude.)

Nothing too scandalous, but at least we knew who we were talking about.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 13:06:05 »
An elderly indian bloke on our allotment who I talk to just calls me John said it's easier that way.  ;D

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 13:15:23 »
We have over a hundred allotment members here at Saltwell and I'm just on nodding terms with most of them. But in our little group of regulars we have two Johns, one is of the  mormon faith so he gets "John the baptist" . ;D ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 13:26:30 »
We had the Raspberry man on the plot behind us - because he grew loads of raspberries - found out later that his name was Fred.
The latest one is Chickweed Man - because he is growing a crop of chickweed for his budgie. Thankfully I am no where near his plot.
And then of course there is Big Derek and Little Derek!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 14:07:24 »
A chap on our site is known to my wife and me as "Mr Only Meee" because he's so much like the old Harry Enfield character ("ooh, you don't want to do it like that...")

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 14:53:04 »
Can't think of too many. 

There is Rockin Ron who has the plot next to me. He's very very poorly unfortunately. :( He wears the full Teddy Boy get up. 

Dicky..who I always call "Dicky Dicky Dido"   Don't know why and he certainly doesn't sing boring pop songs. Doesn't sing at all...just grumbles. He has been a superb help to me.  (He calls me "gorgeous" lol  :-[  :-[  :-[  :D  :D)

Creeping Jesus.  A lad of fourteen who hangs around the allotments morning noon and night. He walks into your plot without saying anything,you turn round and suddenly he's there,scares the life out of you. 

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 15:02:47 »
one woman we call mash potatoe as we once saw someone miss the path and drive over part of her emerging spuds, he hid the tracks and we never told her why some never happened. another we call tape measure as he is very precise if the book says 12" apart and 8" deep thats what happens  i just hate to think what i,m called perhaps i,m better off not knowing
marg ;)
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 15:17:00 »
I've only been there a few months so only one so far: Chicken John, because:

his name is John
he runs around like a headless chicken
there's a character in the Bill Bryson book "A Walk in the Woods" called Chicken John who keeps turning up and annoying everyone

Chicken John used to have my plot so will quite happily wander onto it and tell me off for doing things like cutting down the diseased apple tree he never got any apples from, and whenever I see him he shows me how shiny his spade is. I get the giggles about his spade now whenever I see him, so he probably thinks I'm a lunatic!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 15:45:16 »
'Is It Level?' - obsessed with things being level, in particular our new greenhouse  ::) Goes everywhere with a spirit level. Went into Notts. city centre last week to see the 'new-look' market square. Guess what? The paving slabs aren't level  ;D

'Postman With The Nasty Dog' - says it all really. Vile creature it is ...

'Whatshisname With the Geese' - also self-explanatory. Also known as 'Him Wit' Gold Teeth'

'Ramone of the Bean' - took on an allotment and grew a bean. Just the one. Nothing else (ex-allotment holder!)

'Sexy Bloke on the Top Avenue' - me and some of the other girls like to go and peek through his privet on hot summer days  ;D

'The One With the Moustache' - not a bloke.

'Rhubarb Paddy' - deaf as a post. Wanders into your allotment and shouts "I'M TAKING SOME RHUBARB DARLIN'" ... OKAY PADDY, HELP YOURSELF ... "PARDON DARLIN'?" I'm making some flash-cards for this season.

'Shed Kev' - every available space for growing things on his allotment has a shed on it.

'Operatic Patty' - sits on her allotment on long summer evenings singing opera and songs from the show.

Others which are self-explanatory: Pigeon Wayne, Fishpond Penny, Tomato McCready and our dear departed allotment partner Mad Frank (he's still alive ... just left the area!)

AND I LOVE THEM ALL  ;D Apart from Ramone.

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 15:47:03 »
We have Mr. Perfect on our site, because everything on his site is perfect, not a weed in site and everything lined up and neat and tidy. Further over we have Mrs. Perfect, no relation to MrP, she riddles every last bit of her soil.  It is so fine that it looks like icing sugar. Haven't the heart to tell her that she has probably shaken or squashed any worms on her plot into an early death, and that her soil will have completely lost its structure. One of our old timers used to always turn up on a ladies bike with a shirt and tie on,  him not the bike, and a really old fashioned raincoat, and he was little Alan or old bloke.  :D busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 15:55:28 »
We've only been on our lottie for 3 months, but alreaady we've learned that almost everyone is called stan.

The guy who ploughed our plot is stan (stan the tractor).
The guy on the plot to our right is also called stan.
'Stan's brother' has the plot to our left.

PS we're known as the 'television gardeners' (see earlier post a few weeks ago for explanation ::) ) :-X
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 15:58:37 »
We've got a Stan too  ;D!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 16:00:42 »
One of our old timers used to always turn up on a ladies bike with a shirt and tie on,  him not the bike, and a really old fashioned raincoat, and he was little Alan or old bloke.  :D busy_lizzie  

At least he didn't used to turn up on a man's bike with a lady's blouse and skirt on  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 16:32:18 »
One of our near neighbours is "Mr Tidy"....
 :-X

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 18:16:26 »
We used to have 'old vinegar drawers'  she was always moaning and had a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 18:34:39 »
used to have a gordon in the corner, self explanatory, big frank, cos he had a big heart, uncle eric, he's 83 and nice to everyone and full of good advice, hope none of the people mentioned on this thread are reading this, some of you are going to be in trouble  ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 18:40:20 »
When I first started this post someone asked." I wonder what they call you?"

Well actually I know that cos I was told. I had two names before they called me by name.

1. The Canadian lass whats married to the New John.

2. That lass what  brings the buns.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 19:10:28 »
Well I have on mine:-

The Teachers.......both used to teach me as a lass! :o :o

The Ken's, upper Ken, and lower Ken (tis all in their proximity to me!)

The Posh lottie Woman ::) ::) Says it all, hardly ever see her , reckon she sneaks on site at night to weed and feed and sow cos her plot always looks perfect

The Kiwi's (New Zealanders that have become great mates, possibly mainly due to the fact he mows the grass and is generous with his "tinnys" that he keeps in his shed! ;D

The newbies (next to me, taken on a plot this year, not met em yet but referred to as such!) trying to do a great job on what they don't realise yet is a rice paddy. :-\ :-\

Rick the plumber...yes he is!

RAC Man from Jamaica, he used to work for a breakdown company, and we swap veges and stuff, one of my faves!

Then we have about 15 that are all in "the posh end"  Huge lotties and perfectly manicured every one, and they NEVER venture down to visit us lot!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal