Author Topic: Longing to start using my new veranda greenhouse AKA the cupboard  (Read 2150 times)

Merete

• Not So New ...
  • Newcomer without funny line
It's still below freezing at night here, andhave womanfully managed to keep off this board so I won't be tempted to run out and plant something that won't sprout.

But it's getting quite warm in the daytime here, and "the cupboard" leans against the brick wall of our house, so I'm hoping it will retain enough heat to keep some plants alive.

What do you think? It's basically an all-glass cupboard with glass shelves and doors, on a sturdy wooden frame. I am hoping to use it as a kitchen garden when I can't be bothered to run over to the allotment to pick herbs and lettuce while dinner is cooking, as well as a place to transition tiny plants (sown indoors) on their way out to the windy allotment.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Longing to start using my new veranda greenhouse AKA the cupboard
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:45:22 »
i cant see why it cant work, although it might get very warm during the day.

Try a couple of plants for a test for a couple of days and see what happens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 13:24:57 »
at least you can open the doors as you need to, I agree with cambourne, heat, especially if it's like today, could be the problem, has it got solid sides?..you could try some lettuces and stuff that doesn't mind a bit of cool..welcome to the site, happy growing  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 17:34:31 »
Worth a go; my cold greenhouse is having hugely fluctuating temperatures at the moment, but toms. peppers etc. seem to coping despite this! I use fleece, and keep pots on gravel beds to try and store heat a bit better...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 17:42:55 »
Considering getting one as my two 8x6 greenhouses and 8x10 polytunnel are heaving with seedlings and planted trays...
 ???

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 15:58:13 »
Good grief Saddad !!

I thought that I was bad - I only have one small 6 x 4 cold greenhouse and one cold frame and all the windowsills are heaving!!  But then I suppose that you have a wonderful lottie (seen the pics to prove it) to fill up soon - so you are excused. DH is trying as hard as he can to get another 6 x 8 greenhouse up at the lottie for me but this am he banged his hand and needed two stitches - so bang goes the greenhouse now at least for another couple of weeks....  Maybe I can reglaze by myself ??? ???

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal