Author Topic: azadas ?? Thinking of getting one !!  (Read 5321 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
azadas ?? Thinking of getting one !!
« on: March 27, 2007, 19:30:06 »
 How Many People on this site have used a azadas ,? I am thinking of getting one but as i have always used a spade before was wondering what others thoughts are on here ..
 :)

www.get-digging.co.uk/using.htm
i don't belive death is the end

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: azadas ?? Thinking of getting one !!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 20:06:15 »
Quite a few of us have them! Lots of info in other threads, see this recent one:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,29478.0

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 20:07:51 »
Look four threads down.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 20:13:33 »
I bought the medium azada and the azada fork from Get Digging. The medium azada was useful for breaking new ground, but I found it fairly heavy and so tiring to use. I have since bought a simple lightweight model (from a DIY store in Belgium, less than £10) which I am now using much more often than the one medium weight one. It's brilliant for general cultivation, breaking up hard lumps of clay,  earthing up etc.  The azada fork has been invaluable in digging up perennial weed roots (especially nettles)  on uncultivated ground. But in the long run the lightweight one looks like the most useful tool! My Portuguese lottie neighbour has a similar tool, but his has a triangular pointed blade.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 21:20:43 »
I think they are great. Cultivation that is not back breaking IMHO.

Geo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:48:31 »
I bought the heavy azada.. from get digging..excellent tool  8)

G e o.. :)
"The earth meets the sky over the hill, I was told by a sparrow with a lump on his head."

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:26:39 »
How Many People on this site have used a azadas ,? I am thinking of getting one but as i have always used a spade before was wondering what others thoughts are on here ..
 :)

www.get-digging.co.uk/using.htm

We got an 8" Azada and the right angled fork from these guys.  Very good service, by the way.

A couple of years on, and although both are very useful, they haven't supplanted the traditional spade and fork on our lottie.   The azada is a very useful cultivator, and the tool of choice for digging trenches, but for "normal" digging I still love my spade.

emmak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 20:25:18 »
I got the smaller medium azada a couple of days ago and spent an hour on the lottie this afternoon. In this time i readied an area 4 times bigger than what it took 2 of us to do last week over 3 hours. So thats like 16 times faster than digging with a spade. And more fun. Seriously, I couldnt be more impressed. Was going to post an say how pleased I was anyway!  Would buy the fork version now but have spent far to much on lottie stuff this month..

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 14:38:07 »
They call this "Blacking it over" in Norfolk, if you're on heavy land you need to get down to ten inches depth (that's a full spit).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal