Author Topic: Ain't it nice to find something new.  (Read 1817 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Ain't it nice to find something new.
« on: March 26, 2007, 19:36:04 »
Well it's new to me. I was on my hands and knees as usual in a grown in flowerbed trying to seperate the weeds from the good stuff, when a lovely fragrance came by in the breeze. I tracked it down and found this little plant. Well not this one exactly, I never had the camera handy.

Now whenever muscari is mentioned I think weeds, They come a very close second to forgetmenots. The scent was out of this world and it is called muscari ambrosiacum. Not much of a bloom on its own but a drift of them would look good.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Ain't it nice to find something new.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 20:24:19 »
Yes, and a drift of them does smell rather nice too. Not got a picture and they have begun to go over now.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:37 »
Do they multiply very easily, like neglectum or is it easier from seed?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:11:57 »
They are definitely not as invasive or prolific as either neglectum or even latifolium. Seed is produced but it does take a few years to grow to flowering size. I have seen the bulbs on sale in a couple of garden centres over the last few years, so they are coming into commerce. The clump I have would have been planted about 3 or 4 years back and now has about about  10 individuals from a 2 bulb planting.
Now if you could find a clump of one of the 'yellow' ones, that would be special!
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal