Author Topic: Building a wormery  (Read 4494 times)

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
Building a wormery
« on: March 25, 2007, 21:55:06 »
I have tried using the search function to look up old threads on this but it has just packed up on me so anyone got any ideas out there?

I would like to build a wormery out of wood, I have at least a carrier bag full of kitchen waste every day and would preferably like to make one where the layers are separated.   :-\

I have seen these made of plastic, they are stackable things and when the bottom compost layer is removed, the empty ring goes back on top to be filled with waste again.  I think they work by the compost dropping through a mesh of some sort as soon as it is a fine enough tilth.  ???

The only self builds I can find are ones where you have to empty out the decomposing stuff to access the compost at the bottom.

So, any ideas would be gratefully received!!  ;D
Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Building a wormery
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 21:57:45 »
I knew I'd seen one lately, courtesy of blue bird

Blue Bird
Acre

Chirp Chirp Chirping on the Wirral

Re: home made wormery
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 20:56:05 » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I made my own last year out of 4 storage boxes and some strong wire and 1 tap (suitable for barrels)

total cost was £6 for all above and got the worms free from my compost bin

easy to make in the bottom storage box (A) fit tap at the frount about 1 inch from bottom

next cut out the bottom of the other 3 storage boxes (B,C,D) leaving an edge around the frame of 1 - 2 inches and place a cut peice of wire to them

then stack them up A first then B add to this the bedding and the worms then c ontop so they connect with the bedding add your kitchen waste and shredded paper (50 / 50) then D with more kitchen waste

The wroms will slowly eat there way up to the top and leave in box A the WW (Worm Water) your liquid feed and the B the compost when full.

hope this makes sense  will try to find site I got the info from

BB

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 22:12:39 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....place a cut peice of wire to them

Hi BB,
Sorry to be so dim and thanks for replying but where do you place the wire?  Do you mean wire mesh or just plain wire.  Also, how do you stop the stuff falling straight through (this is why I wonder whether it is wire mesh or something.)

Sounds like a cool idea though 8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 15:35:02 »
sorry, machman, it was me put bb's quote in for you, I saw it on another thread so she won't have read this..don't know if you want to do a 'for the attention of blue bird' on somewhere ?

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 15:46:04 »
Ah, now I understand the stuff at the beginning! About BlueBird and chirping on the wirral - thought you was just having a bit of a funny turn ;D

I could see the reply came from you Manicscousers but couldn't work out who BB was! :-\

Still, maybe some one (or even BB) will see this thread and let me know how to do it, I'll leave it a while and see what happens and then I'll try to get hold of BlueBird.

Thanks again ManicScouser
Donna.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 15:59:29 »
she's 3 posts down, home made wormery, i think

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 20:33:07 »
Hi have PM'd you with the information I think you need machman5

BB ;D

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 21:11:34 »

Thanks Manicscousers, I have just noticed it and I have a PM from her too.  I'm going to reply to her now.   :D

O.k, have sent BB a P.M.

Right I have a couple of things thing I would like to ask though;

A) when you say bedding, I am guessing that is soil or compost.  If so, how do you stop it falling through the wire into crate A and the the 'Worm Wee'?

B)When you put box C on top of box B and it's contents, they have to connect, does this mean B should be completely full up or that I should insert box C, inside box B?

I know I am making a meal of this but I have not got a clue what I'm doing and want to get it right  ;D  I promise that when the penny (finally) drops, I will be fine and will leave you alone ;D

Donna.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 21:26:16 by machman5 »

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 18:37:53 »
Ok will try to do this as simply as I can
Box A has tap on it and Box B has bedding (compost) you add to this your kitchen waste & shredded newspaper until it is full (if this takes a while cover with carpet to keep them in the dark)
When box B if full put on top Box C and start to fill this up with waste and keep covered again
when box C is full add box D and continue

by the time box D is full your box B will be ready to take your ful box of compost from it.

Each box's contents should connect so the worms can move up into the new area.

only box A should not connect as this is were the WW will be collected

hope that is a bit clearer ( sorry but not very good at explaining things) ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 18:48:37 »
Sort of like this?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 19:28:52 »
Well this is very interesting, I have wanted a wormery for years and refuse to pay the price.Rosebud how  well does it work. eg
Where do you keep it,if outside has it ever blown over.
How many worms did you put in it,
How deep did you make the compost bedding.
Approx how long before the first box is filled and if you have a lot of waste can the worms keep up.

Sorry for so many questions bit I really am keen to do this XXXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 19:57:22 »
does the compost not go down into box a, also don't the worms go down? ???

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 20:02:48 »
Someone is selling what look like homemade wormeries on ebay:

http://home-garden.search.ebay.co.uk/compost_Home-Garden_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ11700

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 20:52:53 »
Thanks again BB that is so clearly said, NOW I get it (told you I would in the end ;D)

Like Manicscouser though, I am still wondering how you stop the soil and worms dropping down into bin A through the mesh?

I am really getting into this idea now and definitely want to have a go at it.  Thanks to you too Kenkew, the photo's are a real help, I would have just taken a big hole out of the bottom!  This would probably have resulted in the mesh and contents falling straight through.

Good luck everyone else who is going to try this, we'll have to compare notes later in the season!
Donna.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 18:44:04 »
Hi again - the compost seems to stay in place fine it may be because it is always damp and therefore stays in a semi solid state

Best of luck to all that try it

Happy wriggling
BB ;D

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 13:27:16 »
Hi
Do a google search on Brandling Worms & you will find plenty of sites with detailed plans on building wormeries.
I have built a few commercial worm beds & I use 1 metre square plastic bins, as I can get these free. I normally put a 6 inch layer of rough woodchip in the bottom, followed by 6 inches of old Horse Manure, followed by 3 inch of Rag (a by product of the Peat trade) I add the worms at this stage & cover with old newspapers & plastic sheets & leave a few weeks before using. I add horse manure-woodchip-Shredded paper & veg waste as food.
Smaller versions for the home are easily made from a large bucket as the base with a tap fitted & then use large plant pots (the ones large trees come in) for the layers.
Always cover the top with old carpet/newspapers with a waterproof cover over this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal