Author Topic: free black flower buckets  (Read 23758 times)

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
Re: free black flower buckets
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 20:49:01 »
Thanks Manicscousers - I asked in my local Asda (Chelmsford, Essex) as they were carrying about 50 away in a little cart - I was told (quite rudely I thought as I had been very polite) that they are sent away for recycling. 

I later called in at the Morrison's store in Witham where they were for sale covered in sticky tape stating '8 for 99p'.   I didn't think that was too bad (especially as the person who packaged them obviously didn't care how many were taped together) - I got 32!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Just got to decide what to do with them now....................

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 21:13:20 »
hi

i picked up 20 from asda today and i have got a couple of plans

1) I have been given potatoes that were spare a mix of a few and i am popping one into a bucket.
2) I am going to string 3 of the buckets together to get comfry juice ( with holes and some neeting and a bit of fiddeling ).
3) Planting up pepermint, mint, and anything else that needs to have the roots enclosed.

I am also contemplating sawing the bottoms of some to make collars for tomatos plants.

Cambourne7

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 18:53:33 »
I finally plucked up the courage when i went to Asda today... Came home with 150!!!! for free.!

Great tip!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 19:31:37 »
how on earth did you get 150 home, oo..gotta truck?  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 20:24:17 »
did you get any funny looks????

what are you going to do with 150??

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 03:06:05 »
Silly question..........What's everyone growing in these black tubs??

we gas ourselves making holes in the bottom, or we cut our fingers off as well as the bottom of the buckets, or we just have them sitting in the corner of the shed just cos we can !  lol

(i'm using them as ring culture things for the toms, got a tub of leeks waiting to beef up, got a trial sowing of rainbow carrits in another and will stick some chillies and peppers in some others).

oh and they're dead handy for collecting water from the broken guttering and leaving about the garden and the g/h for snippings of deadheads and the like.  all round useful buckets (when they don't dissolve).   ;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 12:29:41 »

oh and they're dead handy for collecting water from the broken guttering and leaving about the garden and the g/h for snippings of deadheads and the like.  all round useful buckets (when they don't dissolve).   ;D

That should go into the Hall of Fame in Top Tips......I've honestly, but honestly never thought before of using them as.......buckits  ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 20:03:40 »
as i tidied up the garden tonight before coming in, i found 6 lurking all over the place.  They're now washing and back on the pile in the shed.

Next weekend I'm going to ask the OH to help me cut the bottoms off with the leccy saw !  Watch out for bloodshed !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 20:33:10 »
To be honest I didnt MEAN to get 150. I just asked a guy what happens to them and he asked if I wanted some... I said 'sure' how many have you got - he said LOADS. I said I'll have a load then.

He returned with a pallet!!!!!

I have a renault clio and the boot was full with rotovator, son had his metal detector on back seat not to mention my huge seed box.... but we crammed them in.

So far i've only drilled holes in about 20 of them! Got bored after that. Then i started thinking about the amount of compost it will take to fill them! LOL

I'm sure I'll find uses though - I have loads of toms. cucs, aub and chillis that can be repotted in them in a couple of weeks or so. 

Not sure what to do with the rest but I'm sure they will come in handy when my 'dream' comes to fruition!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 20:46:51 »
You know, i have used around 20 already. ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 22:00:39 »
Who are people asking for these buckets when they go into Asda? Do you go to the customer help desk or just grab the nearest 'Asda colleague' (or whatever they call themselves!!) Also what have they been used for? Are they the ones that flowers are in? Isn't it wasteful that they are obviously getting through so many? I'm starting to ask to many questions now!!!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 22:47:39 »
I think i'm going to be brave and ask in Asda tomorrow.......keep fingers and toes crossed!!! Anyone tried asking in Tesco???

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 23:16:56 »
I think i'm going to be brave and ask in Asda tomorrow.......keep fingers and toes crossed!!! Anyone tried asking in Tesco???

Buckets in our TESCO (Market Rasen, Lincs) are 'square'. I asked some weeks ago and was told, by a very helpful young man they are re-cycled.

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 23:41:31 »
I am a manager for Somerfield.
I can honestly tell you now that if you asked in your local Somerfield they would let you have what ever they have spare.

All we do with them is throw them away.

Anybody who lives near Spondon in Derby can come into my shop and get whatever we have available.

;D
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 10:29:14 »
I asked the guy unloading lettuce opposite the flowers... customer services desk at our asdas is full of morons. 

In fact once I had queued for ages paid for my goods, went to the tobacco counter to get a paper and there were none left. so went over to the CS desk - 3 women doing nothing, grabbed a paper there as they had a huge stack of them... stood patiently waiting to pay for the paper as i know they have a till... waited while one woman was on the phone and the other two were nattering trying to look busy.  Finally one of them said - you cant pay here you have to go to a till.... arrggghhhh I looked at the even bigger queues at the check out and said 'forget it'.... and dumped the paper on their counter.... huffed off home!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 10:56:49 »
I think i only have around 5 left, may need to make another trip over to Morrisons  ;)

I seem to have smaller sized ones too, but they are great for lettuce leaf and Aubergines.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 13:18:18 »
Hello 'buckit' lovers,

I had a retail therapy day in Lincoln yesterday, without my carer (OH) ;) tried ASDA, staff must be related to those at OliveOil's branch or they bus the same people up and down the A607.... you may have guessed .... no luck. It appears (through thick Fog) that this ASDA recycles 'em.

On my way to B&Q (a mans thing, got to look at tools and wood) I called in Morrisons. What a helpful young man, 8 buckits for 99 p (would love to hear the logic on this pricing philosophy 12.375 pence each hee hee  8)) he went off to get them for me and said "carry on with your shopping and I will find you", I declined cos I only went in for buckits  ;) and waited for him to return.  I wish I had read his name badge, would give him  public praise for his help and courtesy  ....  well done Son, much appreciated

Maybe Morrisons could contract him out to ASDA as a personality consultant.

At the end of a lovely day, headed for home and called in local Co-Op (remember, this is the branch that basically told me to Bu**er Off a few weeks ago when I went begging /trying to buy Buckits) and to my utter amazement was given 9 Buckits free, a big smile and if you would like more, please ask next time you are in the store.

Now I am very pleased, do not misunderstand, but I wonder is there some senior Bod higher up the Co-Op food chain, who at least reads A4A .... makes you think.

All in all a lovely day and most 'Buckitful'

PS the weather was also fantastic

hope you all have a great weekend

Mikey

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 22:43:03 »
Mikey, this bit made me laugh out loud ;D

... he went off to get them for me and said "carry on with your shopping and I will find you", I declined cos I only went in for buckits...

Spoken like a True Buckiteer 8)

;D ;D ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 22:50:36 »
Mikey, this bit made me laugh out loud ;D

... he went off to get them for me and said "carry on with your shopping and I will find you", I declined cos I only went in for buckits...

Spoken like a True Buckiteer 8)

;D ;D ;D

Lish,   I swear it is true .... word for word

TTFN time for medication and up the wooden stairs

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2007, 01:19:48 »
... called in local Co-Op ... was given 9 Buckits free ... a big smile ... more, please

Was this the Co-op on Tritton Rd, the road they don't just dig up once, or even twice, where traffic cones spend there annual holiday ?

Only last month I cursed when I arrived at Asda to see two very nice men loading a pensioners car with more buckits than I've had hot dinners. If only I'd been five minutes earlier !
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal