Author Topic: Generators at woolies  (Read 2214 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Generators at woolies
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:39:22 »
Woolworths  are doing a 650 watt petrol generator for £39 reduced from £99. Does 230v and 12v.  This could be a handy thing on the lotty...
Cheers .. Jim

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
Re: Generators at woolies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:35:07 »
That would drive my [low power] strimmer - Hmmmm...... Huzzar ! no more shearing.
- No thats just being lazy.   Now,  woolies are 4 minutes away, at lunchtime :-)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 13:31:32 »
They are cheap because they are useless, They might recharge a drill battery, but remember if you have a long lead on your strimmer the less power reaches the motor. You would be better off with a hamster in a wheel. 2k is the minimum you can get away with on most power tools.

TheRE is talk of them being banned at shows because a lot of users do not wait for them to cool down if they run out of petrol.

BANG

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 22:06:29 »
Yup, ACE agree 100%. They also do a really annoying thing - as soon as your machinery starts to do any work, the generator revs drop, causing the power output to drop, (like a mini viscous circle) so you keep having to start & stop every few seconds.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:33:22 »
Thanks guys,  I should have realised that.  Cheap things usually are just that.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 16:11:17 »
I think, to be fair, that they'd be OK to power emergency lighting, or a low powered pump, but not power tools of any sort.

WARDL895

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 21:16:58 »
Word of warning to anyone wishing to purchase this genny from woolies... please check the product there and then with a member of staff.

I ordered one off the net (woolies site) on monday arrived tuesday, i always inspect my items, opened up the air filter and found a large crack in the plastic, so phoned them up and got told that when its sent back a new one will be sent to me, so i said so one will be put aside until they recieve it... no ?  ??? hummm lol anyway returned item but also didnt get item swop i simply ordered a new one there n then while they had it in stock then they refunded me the money for the other.

Recieved the new one today (thursday) and the two steel feet that support it had snapped!!! so back on the phone to them, i said right give me a refund ill be going into a store to purchase the next one as its either poor quality or VERY bad parcel company.

Went in today before mine shut in town, they had put it aside for me as it was the last one, and it was fine checked it there n then, tested tonight and works a treat. powered my 3 light/outdoor lampost and also the chest freezer in the garage, was just breaking it in and testing it at the same time.

Thumbs up to it once i got one that worked  >:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 21:19:10 by WARDL895 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal