Author Topic: pest control in a walk in greenhouse  (Read 2463 times)

hairyhippy

• Not So New ...
pest control in a walk in greenhouse
« on: April 11, 2007, 23:03:17 »
I have recently become the proud owner of a walk in greenhouse.

I have been keeping the door rolled up for ventilation.

I noticed today that a large number of flies (as well as a couple that looked suspiciously like greenfly) are accumulating at the top of the green house.

There is no top vent that I can open to allow them to escape, so what should I do?

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: pest control in a walk in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:15 »
Get some of those yellow fly catcher sticky sheets.

You wouldnt need many for a mini greenhouse.  I got 7 for £5.49 at Klondyke. 

;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:23 »
I have an octagonal greenhouse so there is no vent in the top.
You will sooh have a lot of spiders. Do what I do and watch the spiders at work!
The flies do no harm and many of them pollinate. The touble with pest control is that it tends to kill the good as well as the bad.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 22:38:10 »
Sorry ChrisG, but I would never, ever put the sticky yellow fly catchers in the greenhouse.  As allaboutliverpool says, those sticky traps catch the good guys as well as the bad.  You might get some greenfly stuck to them, but you will also get hoverflies, bees, lacewings. etc.  On balance, I would not use them.  For what bad bugs you catch, you are likely to catch more good guys.

valmarg

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:54:45 »
I have to agree with that.

I would not have thought that greenfly would congregate without plants. And flies? As said, no worry. They just like the warmth. If they annoy you, just flick them with a cloth. A horse's tail fly switch - or 'hossu' - would be useful!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:11:26 »
We gave up using sticky traps years ago: they are too indiscriminate. If greenfly or other nasties become a problem later, get some predators in. (Phone English Woodlands - they'll tell you.)

Agree with Tim - no plants, no greenfly. Keep an eye on the plants and don't panic until you can see something eating them. If you introduce predators too early they've got nothing to feed on, so die.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:34:54 »
Sorry ChrisG, but I would never, ever put the sticky yellow fly catchers in the greenhouse.  As allaboutliverpool says, those sticky traps catch the good guys as well as the bad.  You might get some greenfly stuck to them, but you will also get hoverflies, bees, lacewings. etc.  On balance, I would not use them.  For what bad bugs you catch, you are likely to catch more good guys.

valmarg

I didnt think of that, very good advice!   and thanks for the heads-up (wonder if i can take them back too)  ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal