Author Topic: Tetnus....yet again.... ( Ina if you are looking in....)  (Read 1916 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
I know this has been covered and covered....and I keep threatening to go have mine....well, I thought I should report back.  I went to the quacks as my hernia is giving me merry hell at the moment, and asked if I could PLEASE have a tetnus jab as I am a gardener for a living.  He checked through my records, and then checked with the nurse, and a more senior doc, and because I have had 5 in my lifetime to date, I should never need another.  However, he quickly pointed out that if I cut myself, or prick myself on anything iffy, don't take any chances, nip to a&e to have the injury PROPERLY cleaned, dressed, and then they will give me a tetnus jab, purely as a precaution.  So, I have now checked, and rechecked, and to quack checked and rechecked, and I am happy that I will not have to be used as a pin cushion.  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Tetnus....yet again.... ( Ina if you are looking in....)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 18:41:29 »
a&e - are there any left? On a Sunday??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 19:30:38 »
Let's hope nobody has an accident on Christmas day.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 19:39:38 »
Emma. Sorry to hear your hernia is playing you up. Any help from the Doctor?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 19:47:02 »
Tetanus used to be 5 years, then (probably due to cost) was extended to 10 years. Five in a life should be enough to kill a crocodile if it ever bit you....that's if you didn't whack it first, EJ... :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:25 »
My son had one last week aged 20 was told he will never need another.

I wish they had found that out years ago, I've lost count of mine.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 17:08:58 »
I've been to A&E on Christmas day. My son got septicemia from a wound after he was bullied at school, he hadn't told me about the wound. I only have my kids every second Christmas so I missed Christmas with the other one for 3 years thanks to the bully. 3 Days in hospital at Christmas, I stayed with him 'sleeping' on a camp bed next to him.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 18:27:59 »
I was told that I did not need a `regular` tetanus shot when we moved down here -As for A+E-touch wood only been to two in the last few years and dear Tim phoned one the first time we visited him-kidney stones hurt you know-the second time was about an hour after the first one for something stronger

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 19:06:04 »
Kea....got your feelings.
Ken.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 22:07:24 »
I've been to A&E on Christmas day.

So have I. When my daughter got a bit too excited as I was cooking the Christmas dinner, fell over in the kitchen, and broke her wrist. Christmas just had to be abandoned for several hours till we got her sorted.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 17:52:13 »
Been to Broomfield A&E on a Sunday and haven't been let down yet.  :-\  And it is only about 10 minutes drive away, so in theory, I shouldn't have bled to death....(she says crossing fingers).

My hernia Lorna has been playing me up a treat.  It is all linked to my bladder so I do have to be very careful.  When digging I have to stretch it would regularly, and I have to bend zee knees when lifting.  I am waiting to get an appointment with the consultant, then an appt for the op.  If however I get any serious pains, then I have to go to A&E immediately.  Can't afford to go private so my appt is in the lap of of the Gods. :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 18:19:33 »
Emma - much sympathy - it's this 'having children business', isn't it?  People were not designed for it!!

Stephan - don't do it again - they've shut ours - after it had been supported by local contribution for 50 years!!

Yes, we can go to Cheltenham - 18 miles away - but you can't park there. Makes it difficult to take a sick or wounded person in??

And speaking of the wounded & NHS in general - thought this might be of interest. A month ago, No1 Daughter took a 4"x4" piece out of her shin by dropping a studio easel on it. She still has to have it dressed every 2 days.

SHE IS NOW BEING ASKED TO PAY £17 A TIME FOR DRESSINGS - TAKE YOUR OWN. No 'buy one get one free'!!

And of course - the latest recruitment drive for Nurses & young Teachers?? Double the tax on their first £2150!! (And give the money to the 'better off') Dear GOD!!

Just the sort of caring chap we need for our next Prime Minister????
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 19:06:34 by tim »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 18:40:32 »
Tim, don't start me off, I may never get off my soap box!! :o :o

EJ, you know how I feel about blinking hernias! ;)  :'(

We STILL have our local cottage hospital, how lucky are we??!! Much campaigning to keep it open. It has a hospital shop (which my Mum helps in) which helps fund projects, (I buy my eggs, cards etc. from it) a birthing clinic, and it has just had a new x-ray machine installed as we found out with youngest, when she dislocated and reloacted her knee!! Luckily  :-\ we arrived on the x-ray day so did not have to wait the obligatory 7 hours at our A&E in Tunbridge Wells, a 30 min drive away. The nurse practitioner was  wonderful, and did all that was necessary, and we were dealt with almost immediately, then booked us to the "big" hospital for the consultant at the fracture clinic, a few days later.
It opens 8am till 8pm, and is so much more relaxed and personal than the big hospitals.

Hoping I won't ever need another tetanus after reading this, will ask next time I go to the Dr's tho! :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 18:49:38 »

And speaking of the wounded & NHS in general - thought this might be of interest. A month ago, No1 Daughter took a 4"x4" piece out of her shin out by dropping a studio easel on it. She still has to have it dressed every 2 days.

SHE IS NOW BEING ASKED TO PAY £17 A TIME FOR DRESSINGS - TAKE YOUR OWN. No 'buy one get one free'!!

Tim, has she checked out how much a pre-paid certificate costs? I think that 3 months is the smallest timescale, but when I was having a lot of meds a week,  I was quids-in after the 1st week!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 08:33:56 »
Sorry, Lishka - replied last evening but it's gone.

Yes - she does that for another purpose, but pray God her leg doesn't last that long.  Big exhibition in May!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 08:55:13 »
All the v. best to her then Tim.....the 'open door' pic I fell in love with is still in my slideshow 8)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:00:57 »
Was about 10 years when I thought I could do with a jab. As it happens, after the cervical smear, I asked the nurse about arranging an appointment for a tetanus jab - she said wait a minute, and then came back with the jab!

One time I was in A&E - well, was 6 months pregnant and I found a tick just above the boob where the bra strap would be while having a bedtime magazine reading session. Hubby was worried about Lymes (?) and tried aftershave/matches to get rid of it. Didn't work and stung like hell, so he took me down to A&E. Judge Judy was on TV! Triage nurse said ticks on her dog were bigger! Anyway, had to wait for female doctor who never had done a tick extraction before - twist or yank ? risk of proboscis thing could be left in...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 12:05:20 »
Smearing them with vaseline works; they let go as they suffocate. Leaving the proboscis in results in a sore that itches horribly for weeks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal