Author Topic: Rare African seeds to spare.  (Read 1610 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Rare African seeds to spare.
« on: March 22, 2007, 20:23:02 »
Hi, still sorting out my seeds. I have an unusual African brassica going spare.

Quite rare in it's own country cabbage  variety called  Swart Hert Kunstig Kind, apparently quite local to one area , I am told it's flavour is at first quite sweet but has a bite.

That is as much as I know, but might be of interest to someone who likes to grow unusual veggies.

I don't need anything in return.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
Re: Rare African seeds to spare.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 20:32:10 »
Jeannine - you sound just like me! I love going through my seeds! I tried a search for them on google images, but nothing came up. Do you know what they look like?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 20:36:45 »
Hi Pete, no I truly don't know, I have friends in Kenya and they sent me more than I could use, your guess is as good as mine. I am told they are quite collectible and quite expensive as seeds go as they are a variety that is dying out because of hybrids etc, same as here I guess, there are so many heirloom veggies  I suppose it is impossible to keep up with them all. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 20:38:22 »
Oooooh, I'm intrigued! You'll have to show me some pics if anyone gets a harvest - I wouldn't like to grow any myself, but would love to see their appearance!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 20:44:41 »
Ok, , I have planted some in Jiffy 7s  along with the other brassicas, and they are coming up, too early to see a difference at this point.  I will save some pictures.One thing I forgot apparently they grow quite big. XX Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 23:09:18 »
Jeannine, might they grow as tall as the nine star broccoli by any chance? My sister & family lived in Bryanston,  Jo'burg for 3 years back in the 70s and I visited them one Christmas. There was this 'thing ??? in the veggie garden, but more broccoli than cabbage although the leaves too were edible and the florets quite small...twas a strange hybrid, but very tasty. Never seen it anywhere else.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 23:37:25 »
You could well be right Lish, when my friend was trying to describe it it didn't sound like a cabbage as we know it,  she said it was big and bushy at the top,she is not a gardener by the way, her sisters husband is.I did wonder if it was one of those kale things they make walking sticks out of.Would you like  some  seeds, I still have a few left. The foliage is very dark compared to my caulis etc but about the same size. Maybe if you grow it you might recognise it. Let me know. XX Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:35:23 »
sent you a PM - thanks Lish  8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 16:33:21 »
Thanks Lish, they are on the way. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal