Author Topic: Its Not easy being Green  (Read 4782 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Its Not easy being Green
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:45:38 »
This programme is back tonight and there should be a glimpse of some lotties - unless of course in ends up on the cutting floor!!!!!

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
Re: Its Not easy being Green
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:11:50 »
Loved the 1st series,  been a huge Dick Strawbridge fan since seeing him and his brothers on Scrapheap Challenge years ago - the guy is an engineering genius! and his son, (although a little young!) is gorgeous as well - roll on series 2- I'm ready  ;D
Kathi :-)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 17:32:49 »
Not seen it before, this ones seems to be about home building and there from the Wirral, wonder if BB knows them.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 17:54:50 »
oooooo.  Will have to check it out.  Shame the old man is out tonite, which means I am in charge of the remote!!  ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 18:30:01 »
thanks for the reminder - would have missed it

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 21:06:16 »
Have just watched it !
 Wonderful if you have  £750,000 to spend on an eco house. ??? ??? ???
 Good luck to the  people with the little garden and a lottie, far more the norm, me thinks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 21:20:04 »
AND a very expensive PLASTIC looking wormery, gets my goat! a bit too designer for me, sorry had 2 glasses of wine!

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 21:25:50 »
I know the feeling ! 2 brandies and lemonade(medicinal purposes only,you understand) AND a  large glass of wine with dinner ::)
 Early night for me .

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 23:02:56 »
I watched the first 10 mins, and once they started talking about the fortune they had to spend on an eco friendly house, I turned over.  Not my kind of telly.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 23:17:01 »
Shame, the first series was so good, won't be watching the rest of them.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 10:11:24 »
Shame, the first series was so good, won't be watching the rest of them.

Agree with you all, they've spoiled the idea of being green, and turned Dick into a presenter - he's an engineer! :( !

Still, the 2nd family with the small garden was interesting - esp. the filtering downpipe - need to check that out

Kathi
Kathi :-)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:14:59 »
Glad they have been honest about how much they are spending, nothing worse than being conned by telly, like 2 day garden/house/life makeovers for a few hundred pounds when they forget to add in the labour cost or mention the effort & willpower to carry it all on.

Would like  to see more ordinary people doing green on a sensible scale
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 11:49:26 »
Having reminded everyone about the programme, I obviously watched it, and agree with a lot of the comments. It has lost the edge that the previous programme had. I will however continue to watch it as it is my allotment site that was featured!! It was one of the topics of conversation at teabreak this morning - as well as the football, compost and the arrival of the two skips in readiness for tommorrows communal site tidy up.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:59:12 »
There must be a demand for something along those lines but not as ambitious. Something that 'ordinary' people could take up. Every little helps as they say. Would be fun to try a few 'simple' Echo jobbies.
Come on Beeb, what about the other 90% of the population who don't have that sort of money to spend?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 18:05:39 »
Yes I watch the first series and thought it was brill.  What I was impressed with was the relationship of all the family.  They have a great outlook on life.

And no I do not know of the family but have seen the site and it an amazing size.

When we did our selfbuild although a timber frame nothing on the scale of theirs.

Love his mostache !!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 19:27:42 »
 :-\

Hmmm, that tache worries me! He could probably eat for a week on what gets left in it!

I watched most of the first series and was very interested, but irritated by the relentless enthusiasm! Also, it seemed to me that anyone could do it if you have an endless supply of free labour via your children's mates!

Hope that couple get on ok with their new lottie, what a lovely thing to do for them.

Will watch with half an eye..

;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 01:28:15 »
For me the highlight of the first series was the water wheel - nothing since then has come close, especially as they seem to be using increasingly expensive kit

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 06:44:03 »
AND a very expensive PLASTIC looking wormery, gets my goat! a bit too designer for me, sorry had 2 glasses of wine!

It came from http://www.bubblehouseworms.com/ was made from recycled plastic & the worms were sourced from the UK rather than shipped in from Australia like the worms from http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/ are.

This makes it more environmentally friendly but it still seems an unnescassary expense when you can make a wormery out of just about anything.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 14:57:29 »
Why anyone buys worms amazes me!. If you leave manure/woodchip/leaves direct on the ground you are gauranteed that brandling worms will be attracted & colonise

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 00:20:09 »
Buy worms for a wormery? Has the world gone mad?  ::)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal