Author Topic: The Finished Pond  (Read 3763 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
The Finished Pond
« on: August 26, 2004, 21:23:12 »
Well except for a lick of paint here and there, ::) it's given us a tiny little bit more elbow room and I plan on taking a few of the larger exotic plants up the lottie when I get the keys. :) Roy ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:The Finished Pond
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 21:27:42 »
WOW Roy, you've made a really good job of that - looks great :)  But why take the plants up the lottie - they look really good where they are.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:47:06 »
Hi Roy,looks great.Don't want to be a killjoy,but if the soil runs out from the plants sitting on the edge that don't have an outer pot,you will ruin all your hard work!!

I have had a raised pond now for 5 years and it is so much easier in all respects to do things.
Margaret

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 21:55:58 »
 Hi Girls, thanks for your comments, :) Pat sorry for confusion, the larger plants were out of shot, mainly Banana, Bamboo ferns and grass's. ::) I have spent most of today with my Daughter trying to split a bamboo into three and we succeeded eventually, see the one on the right that has been reduced by two thirds phew hard going, :o the banana's are breeding like rabbits so they must go to the Lottie amongst others. :)

Margaret I assume you are referring to soil leakage into the pond? I am not too concerned about that as the shelf edging slopes away from the pond and the soil shouldn’t leach in. :D
I have had potted plants on the pond edge from the start with no ill affects, here’s a picture from whence I first bought a digi-camera. ;)

Roy ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 13:24:30 by Roy Bham UK »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 09:47:31 »
I see what you mean Roy about the large plants - I think they need a bit of space :D  Great looking plants :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 08:47:13 »
I've just redesigned my pond and relined it.  I have placed slabs round the edge and now want to make them firm as they wobble a bit.  Is it alright to cement them in?  I ask this as someone has said I can't do it because of the lime in the cement and when it rains it will wash into the pond.  What advice can you give me, please.
Chloe:)

Peter H

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 19:10:09 »
hi Chloe, the new cement has no lime in it so i cant see a problem there. Also I have used it for stepping stones in the pond down the allotment and as yet no ill effects on the fish.
Trust me i'm a bricklayer  :-\ .

Peter

Chloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 20:04:56 »
Have always held bricklayers in high regard Peter:)

So, is this the ready mixed cement or the stuff I add sand to?

Thanks for replying.

Chloe

Peter H

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 15:57:02 »
Hi Chloe, the pre-mixed has lime in it, use the ordinary portland cement and add sand, 6:1 is the usual mix, that means 6 sand 1 cement.
As for the high regard  :-\ you are in a minority there everyone seems to think ALL bricklayers are cowboys.
Right got to go feed the horse and put my stetson on  ;D ;D ;D .

Peter

Chloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 16:05:30 »
Thank you Peter.

I have never met a bricklayer that's why you are in 'high regard':)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal