Author Topic: Tomatoes- inside or out?  (Read 6550 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Tomatoes- inside or out?
« on: March 21, 2007, 17:17:44 »
I've always grown my tomatoes under glass but they take so much watering that I was thinking about putting some outside this year until I read that they are more likely to get blight. What are the pros and cons, please? The varieties I've got so far are Gardener's Delight and Alicante but thinking of growing a beefsteak variety if it's not too late.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Tomatoes- inside or out?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 17:35:14 »
Both of those will grow outside. If you put a shelter up  like a canopy so the plant leaves don't stay damp  it should be OK. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 17:48:50 »
If you have an earth floor to your greenhouse try taking a grow bag and cut it in half and sink it into the ground then plant your tomatoes in this, it holds the moisture much better than laying a grow bag flat on the floor and you get a much better root growth .

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 17:59:55 »
I've grown mine outside for the last three years. The first year they were great, but they have struggled the last two years. I am hoping that they will be happier at my new allotment as it is sunnier than my garden.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 18:13:38 »
Why do the most innocent questions raise so many answers? ;D

Planting direct in a soil bed should not need water every day nor should `ring culture` if you stick a bottle in the top.

Outside-both the varieties you mention should do OK-listen to Jeannine-she is your neck of the woods.

Beefsteaks outside might be more tricky-grow Brandywine or Caspian Pink or Cherokee Purple inside-outside you could try `Marmande` but it is an awkward so and so at times

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 18:33:32 »
Yes - they are more prone to blight outdoors, but that is the luck of the draw? And there are preventatives?

Almost all toms grow outside - given a bit of commom sense & TLC.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 21:28:11 »
I grow most of mine outside as I'm not very good at remembering to water the greenhouse.  Last year I got a good crop from costoluto di fiorentino.  PM if you want a few seeds  I haven't planted any of these yet.  Good luck.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 21:50:58 »
I grew loads outside last year; they were really successful till the blight hit. Pick your variety - I can let you have some if you want, there are plenty beside the well-known ones - and hope they don't get blight. Grow them as bush.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 21:58:08 »
Has anyone grown Brandywine outside? I've always grown my toms outside as my greenhouse is small (8x4) but this is the first year I've grown the larger varieties.........panicking now  ???
Smile, it confuses people.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 22:43:02 »
Has anyone grown Brandywine outside?

Not me-but that does not mean it will not do well in your garden-It`s a big tom and needs a lot of support-with a taste you will never forget

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 22:53:57 »
Always grown Gardeners Delight outside and never had any problems (put seeds in propagator this afternoon in fact!)

Messed up last year though, as I planted 2 per tub and got very crowded and dried out far too fast. Its always a learning curve this gardening lark!

I will also be growing Gardeners Delight and The Amateur up on the allotment this year..we shall see what happens.

Regards

Matt

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 23:23:07 »
I grew the Amateur when they first came out. Very prolific bush tomato, I had  252lbs (114.5Kg) off 24 plants.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 11:07:16 »
Glad to hear about the good things said about Brandywine.  I also got some seed this year and am looking forward to planting it.  For info I read that it is an heirloom Amish seed?? 

I also grew Marmade outside on a south facing patio last year which was find but I had to water like crazy....  Am thinking of digging out a piece of my lawn to put them in!! DH thinks that I am mad - but I might just be more reasonable and get some growbags instead and am seriously covetting a drip irrigator for them!!!

I have to grow all my tomatoes at home as I believe they get bad blight on the lottie site - but I will try Stupice and Fantasio as a compansion plant on the asparagus bed - which I believe has blight resistant - but then I suppose when it hits they'll all be gone. 

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:39 »
I am growing amateur this year - my neighbour has just told me that they are a very poor cropper - we shall see. Also growing San Marzano outside, and gardeners delight. Under cover will be tigerella and sunbelle.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:07:17 »
Grow bags in Aldi today 89p  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 13:40:03 »
I've always grown tomatoes outside as well as in the GH, even before I got the allotment. Yes, some years are bad for blight, but - as Tim says - that's the luck of the draw. You need to spray.

Advantages are that the outdoor ones have (in my humble opinion) a better flavour; you can certainly grow more interesting varieties. I grow Shirley under glass, but outside it's Marmande, Roma, Costolutto Fiorentino, plus heritage varieties like Black Russian & Spanish Big Globe. We always grow enough to make several batches of chutney and freeze enough sauce & puree to last us and our son & his family throughout the year. (About 60 or 70 plants last year.)

And as I have to lug watering cans around at the allotment (no hosepipes allowed), I water as little as possible.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 14:22:38 »
I also think that toms are better outside. Sure, they are less prone to blight, and they have a longer season, but imo the taste is far superior.
I too grow lots of different varieties - tried black russian, costoluto, san marzano, orange banana, golden sunrise etc, etc.
Have to say though, still growing the really old favourites G delight & Ailsa Craig as well.
Wouldn't mind trying  brandywine though if anyone has any spare (if you don't think I'm TOOO cheeky  ::))
Happy to swap - just tell me what you'd like.

Terri

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 15:23:41 »
I plant both inside and outside. I have about 10 plants inside and about 15 outside, divided into about five differing sorts. Those outside are always quicker to grow, tastier and carry a larger crop. But - if blight hits only those inside are left.
This year I'm going to cover those outside with a simple roof - it's probably worth it.

Just stay on the side of safety!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 15:42:09 »
Emma Jane made a mean tomato cover/house a couple of years ago. I was ( still am) absolutely GREEN when I saw the pic.

But last year, about September, I took off a few side shoots that I'd missed  ::) and potted them up.
They grew well and were providing lovely fresh toms ( in the g/house till well into November!!
Best of both worlds I felt 8) ;D
Terri

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 17:40:23 »
I'll definitely grow outside then- leaving more room inside for my aubergines and cucmbers!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal