Author Topic: Things we make in the winter months when we can't get on the lottie.  (Read 15131 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
I love this thread - what a talented lot you are.

Jeannine, I love the story of the Dear Jane quilt - my daughter is called Jane & I would love to make one for her but realise it is way beyond me, however by happy coincidence I bought one of Lidls bargain sewing machines last week & feel really inspired to make a few cushion covers.  Any advice on where to start would be appreciated - particularly where to get small amounts of interesting fabric from.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
hi Marymary,  you can get offcuts of fabrics from any fabric shop or haberdashers that are often just the right size for cushions. Also, people seem to be giving away rolls of fabric on Freecycle. I find the further north you are the cheaper fabric is. I couldn't get much further south so praise be to northern rellies!
 If you can get to Brum then go to the rag market and the little sari fabric shops, gorgeous, gorgeous!
So many fantastic soft furnishing books out there, I'd go to charity shop and pick one up. The styles may look outdated but the principle exactly the same!
Enjoy! x
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Lovely work. All that intricate work and you can dig as well.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Emmy, Dear Jane is a sampler, it just has a lot of little blocks, better done by hand and is not that difficult, some are pieced and some are appliqued.It sound like you do tons of stuff, there is a full site for Dear Janers, with close ups of blocks etc. There is a book and software, I have both, go one I dare you, with all yout talents I bet once you get going it will be a dream XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
I've been reading this thread,really enjoying it,so guess what...I've been inspired by Jeannine and Leonnie to have a go at quilting. I've wanted to try for ages but have thought it was way beyond me. Hey I'll give it a go!

Guess what part two...I've had an urge to take up knitting  lol!  I had the basics when I was little but am floundering now. Don't where to start,what needles etc. I've clean forgotten.I've been to car booties looking for knitting needles. I missed a box full by a whisker.

Lovely work everyone.  A real pleasure to be able to see it.   ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
Heldi, you need about an 8mm for chunky yarns and knits and about an 4.5mm for your average knit. Bigger needles=bigger stitches (obviously  :P) It's hard to explain how to cast on and off verbally, it's easier if you're shown. you could probably find it on the net or pick up book from charity shop. This has added bonus of fab 80's jumpers to chortle at.
I love knitting. It's so relaxing and once you get as good as my marmie, you can read or watch telly at the same time! :o

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Thank you Emmy, I shall definitely be on the lookout - in fact just been hanging the washing up & spotted daughter's pj's from Monsoon - would go lovely with the sofa - do you think she'd notice?   ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Heldi I can send you a decent how to knitting book,and I have needles galore, send an addy and i'll pop it all  in the mail for you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
Thank you Emmy, I shall definitely be on the lookout - in fact just been hanging the washing up & spotted daughter's pj's from Monsoon - would go lovely with the sofa - do you think she'd notice?   ;D ;D

Don't mary, that's the sort of thing that i do! OH bought me lovely skirt years ago from monsoon and I just wanted to turn into flippin cushions!!  :o

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Emmy ..thankyou.   ;D  I can vaguely remember how to cast on. I think !  I wasn't much good back then though...managed very long thin scarves  :D  ;D

Wow Jeannine! I'm bowled over. You are so kind. Thankyou so very much  ;D  ;D
Oooh I'm all excited  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Not quilting, or even soewing though I do make clotehs and curtains and even do embroidery sometimes.  Here's what I made on a one day course recently - http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obelixxbe/detail?.dir=7ce7re2&.dnm=7440re2.jpg&.src=ph

There are some other "craft moments" in the same album.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Hi Obby!

That obelisk is fab. You did that in a day?!!  What are you going to grow up it??!!

I love all your other crafty pieces. So many...but I have favourites  ;D  I love the "felines" cross stitch. The plant pot with the butterflies and all of the black glazed decoupage things ,especially the watering can. Reminds me a little of barge art.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Just been looking through your album obbelix.  Love all your crafty work, what a versatile lady you are, beautiful work :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
I agree obbelix, beautiful work - I really love the toy box.  Did Sasha 'help' with that too.  :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Thank you.  The willow weaving was a one day course from 10am till 4pm and yes, that took one day.  There were 9 of us from the garden group and 2 friends and our instructor is Clare Wilks - http://www.clarewilks.co.uk/ who has worked with designers such as Bunny Guinness and has pieces on display in British gardens.  She was excellent and we all seemed to get the idea fairly quickly.  She taught us 3 weaves that day.  I've added two more photos to the album so you can see that we all came up with individual designs with just those 3.  The day cost us €60 and included hire of the hall and the willow and an endless supply of coffee and biscuits.

We are all very proud of our obelisks and I shall plant a clematis up mine but haven't yet decided which one.

The gilded stuff was done in an earlier course of lessons I took on paint effects.  It's a bit gaudy for me but I like the découpage and craquelure and the more subtle gilded pieces I've done.  The toy box was made from an IKEA box, some roller wheels and cut up wrapping paper pictures.   It all needs a clean, dust free environment to get a good finish so no feline help for these.

The cross-stitch is all counted, not original.  I'm not at all arty and can't draw for toffee but I am practical.

Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Wow, super visual treat, very talented, XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
these are what I used to make, before my hands and neck went wierd

manicscousers

• Hectare
sorry, the last one's sideways, you'll have to lay down to see it properly  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
You are all sooooo talented. Loved the obilisks Obby, I'd love to have a go at that. Manics, they are superb. My eyes cross at the very thought of all those tiny stitches. :o
I make naughty Christmas fairies that hang around in fir trees. Next time I go into the loft space I'll see if Gladys is awake and ready for a photo call.
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
please do, maggie, can't wait to meet her  ;D, lovely name, gladys the naughty christmas fairy  ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal