Author Topic: Second and third year plot holders  (Read 4585 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Second and third year plot holders
« on: March 20, 2007, 19:44:37 »
My question goes out to mainly the people on here who are in thier second or third year of having their plot, but any thoughts from anyone will be useful.

What are you doing differently this year from what you did last year when it was all new to you?

For instance I spent ages picking and buying seeds early only to find the same items alot cheaper had I only waited a while (£2.80 for onion sets that I could have got yesterday in Wilk's for 99p)

Have you learn what and how much you need/eat?

I am growing stuff we don't normaly eat on the off chance we may, seeing as I've grown it. I am growing squash and pumpkin but have never even tasted either. So that may be something I may change next year.

There must be lots more things you lot out there have done and thought, I 'll do that different next year that you would like to share with me and the other newbies on here. Who are all waiting seed packet in hand/ seedling in greenhouse waiting for the weather to get warmer.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Second and third year plot holders
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 19:50:23 »
planning is the best advice I can offer.

1. Only grow what you like and in a succession to allow for the amount you can eat.
2. Plan you allotment, I use a 4 cycle rotation system
3. Plan you planting schedule to account for space available and the amount you can use.
4. shop around for seeds - Lidl and Wilkinson's are a lot cheaper than catallogues, although some stuff is not available
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 20:02:48 »
hi Gary, I've learnt that I need to sow far more plants than I actually think I'll need to allow for birds, mice and slugs ... lost lots of plants last year.  Also, I started my main sowing end March / April which was too late for some things and therefore I didn't get a good crop (aubergines being the main one I can think of). 
The soil that I manured is much better than the soil that I didn't and this year I'll be making a bigger effort to get homemade compost and leaf mold to start conditioning it. 

Feeling much better prepared this year, but there are always lots of things to learn and improve upon.

bumble-dee

• Not So New ...
  • stoke-on-trent
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 20:14:35 »
hi gary, the one thing i can think of is that its okay to buy cheep seeds and onion sets to experiment with.  but this year i've studied various seed catalogues, and chosen vegs that will suit my site, time constraints, and tastes.
and don't forget, if you grow too much of something or find out you don't actually like the taste, you will probably find another person on your site that you can do swapsies with! ;D

Dee

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 20:41:26 »
I'm on my 16th year and I'm still learning. The end of seasons seeds, @Oct/nov in Wyevale and other Garden centres are a great way to get seeds... 25p a packet, some worth £3 on the back!
 ;D

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 21:48:52 »
I'm in my third year and I've started experimenting with crops I've never grown before as well as the regular ones.  I'm really looking forward to this year.

I spent a fair while searching online for the vegetables which suit my plot and more importantly, my taste.

What is most valuable is the information I am learning from here.  It's great to be able to talk (well, type) to so many others who are willing to share their knowledge.  It makes you realise how little you really know!
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 22:28:35 »
Sorry this should have been in "Basics" and not in here can I move it?

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 22:56:30 »
The biggest lessons I've learned are: -

1) Sow successionally.
2) Don't sow too early!
3) Don't try to do too much in a day (unless it's weeding!!)
4) Don't get too dis-heartened when cabbage whites/pigeons/slugs/flea beetle/carrot fly eat all yer crops!

This year we're going to try to grow more of what has been successful in the past (this is the 3rd year) ie new spuds, onions, parsnips, beetroot, garlic, leeks, beans (all types), lettuce (loads), pumpkins(the kids loved em last year), courgettes, tomatoes, squash & soft fruit.

We struggle to grow carrots, swede, cabbage & broccoli although we will still try. We are also going to try new crops for us like sweetcorn & spinach this year.     

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 23:14:36 »
Patience, perseverance and persistance.  If at first you don't succeed, sow again as there is still time.  And don't panic!  All of a sudden, spring is upon us and I go mad and sow sow sow.  This year I am determined that I will SUCCESSIONAL SOW! ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:39:39 »
Last year, my first, I was busy planting the fruit bushes and asparagus and it took up a lot of time. My plot had been a field which had been ploughed so digging the furrows was hard work in fact about 1/4 of my plot is still furrows with weeds. All the spare ground including the undug bit I used to grow kaboucha Squash (you can see my harvest to the left) and we are still eating them.
I didn't manage to get much else in except shallots, leeks, radishes, courgettes, tomatoes, raddichio, spring onions and a few carrots in a container. The broad beans got chocolate spot and were inedible. I'm hoping to have more this year but the weather has held up preparation and I've bought more raspberry canes so have yet more fruit to get in!
I have a feeling I'm not going to get as much as I would like done again this year.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:46:47 »
Second year. Last year we got the allotment in Spring and it took a while to clear, so there was a lot of 'panic' seed buying and planting. We found the main constraint was space because it's not a very big plot (55ft x 25ft).

Each year we will have a better idea of which veg work for us,  so the strategy is to cut out or down on those we grew too much of (e.g. celeriac) and those that were too space hungry in relation to the crop (e.g. PSB) and grow several more varieties of each type of veg we like to identify one or two at most to keep planting over the years to come and get into a simpler routine.

I'll still try to grow new varieties (but in small quantities) and least one odd vegetable each year - last year Malabar climbing spinach, this year Thai pea aubergines and strawberry sticks (courtesy of Sawfish)

The important thing is to keep a record - you'll never remember everything you did and when you did it
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:48:53 by Barnowl »

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:04:28 »
I'm in year 5 but still learning every day.

What I'll be doing differently?  Spending more time in preperation to save time later on, whether thats in soil preperation of building structures.

What do I grow?  About 60% staple foods, 20% stuff thats enticed me in catalogues, and 30% flowers, that way its always new and exciting for me.

This year I've taken on another plot which is about 200' from the old one but because of the geography of the site I now see people that I've never seen before.  I reckon I've had at least 8 people come up to me and say 'oh you may be full of enthusiasm now but just you wait, its hard work you know etc etc'.  I like to let them carry on for a few minutes before I tell them that I've had a plot of 5 years already and havent got disheartened yet.  It does annoy me though that newbies could be disheartened by such banter and I dont really see the point of it.

Each year I enjoy my plot more, each year I swear I wont make the same mistakes, but most years I do.  :-\
Best laid plans and all that

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:32:19 »
For me, it's been work with the soil you have and don't waste time & effort on things that just don't do well in the soil or conditions you have.  Don't be a martyr to palnting & sowing times if you have a busy life, it goes in when you have time & the weather is favourable, not when it says so on the packet.  And lastly, what's a few weeds, tch, stuff still grows. ;)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 11:57:30 »
I've had my allotment for 30 years. Tend to grow what I know will do reasonably well. Have a terrible time growing onions due to "white rot" but love the challenges nature throws at us. ;)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 12:19:04 »
Hi. This is my third year on my allotment and I would say that I have learned a lot from the first couple of years.

Firstly, it is better to feed the soil rather than the plants! In my first year I had really poor soil as the plot had been neglected for over 10 years and had all sorts dumped on it. Last year was better after lots of muck applied, and this year I am hoping for best crop yet......weather permitting.

Secondly, plan what you want to grow and when you need to sow. Follow the instructions on the seed packet - but also take advice from fellow allotmenteers who can give you a better idea of when to sow/transplant in your area.

Thirdly, only grow what you know you and the family will eat - and grow successionally to make sure you have your favourites for as long as possible. And do experiment with different veg etc. but in small quantities....just in case you don't like them much.

And finally...don't try and do everything at once you only get backache, don't get disheartened when your leeks grow no bigger than spring onions.....tell everyone they are baby veg. And most of all the thing I have learned is that growing my own veg is the most relaxing, rewarding and enjoyable thing I have done for years. So much so I have taken on a second allotment this year!

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 12:46:22 »
I'm into my third year. The thing I did differently this year was to start my digging a lot earlier. (I'm still clearing ground in which to plant). Having finished at around New Year, I'm now able to 'sit back' and take it easy knowing that there is no digging that I have to do. Just keeping on top of the weeding. Much easier. Advice - start earlier.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:40 »
Our seventh year. There's not much more to add to all the sound advice above, is there? But for me, the main things have been:

a) Keep records, both notes & plans. You won't remember from year to year.

b) Every year is different, so if one crop does badly one year it might do well next year. (Conversely, of course....)

c) Experiment, but only with one thing at a time!

d) Enjoy it! (And keep learning!!!!)

Trevor

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 14:10:32 »
We are starting our 2nd year, and the things we have learnt so far are:

1 How much we hate couch grass.

2 Never put trays of seeds where the dog can get them.

3 Should have started preparing the beds a lot earlier.

4 Do not start sowing seeds the minute the packet says you can.

5 Do not sow most of the packet of tomatoes, they will mostly germinate and you will run out of room.

6 Don't put pots with beloved blueberry bushes where the dog can get them.

7 Most importantly, have fun and try not to kill the dog!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 14:57:58 »
we are into year 2 you can see wht we got up to on our site www.lottieblogs.co.uk.

However the main differences are variations of the seeds and varieties grown however keeping the best from last year to make the best possible combinations.

Our biggest change is more mulching

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 15:07:26 »
More mulching - absolutely, much more mulching, thanks to SS's advice - forgot to mention that.

Also, if you have flying rats you will need a vegetable cage to protect your brassicas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal