Author Topic: Pak choi  (Read 2757 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Pak choi
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:59:08 »
Will the pigeons eat my pak choi?  I have it under netting but could use the net else where if it isn't needed.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Pak choi
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 13:23:57 »
Don't sow mine till June - being a crop that goes on into the frosts.
Don't think they will - but flea beetle most certainly will, unless fleeced!! = Tim

NickG

• Noob
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 15:00:15 »
We just lost a whole row to flea beetle  :'( we have some derris powder, for the replacements is this the best option?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 15:40:17 »
No - fleece! = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 17:11:25 »
Fleece would be better for flea beetle-derris should be saved for emergencies-I am not totally sold on `organic` but when one thinks back on the stuff we used to use-ummmumum-thinks-Chlorophos was effective :-[

Stephan.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 18:07:06 »
Okay, so cage will come off.  Excellent.  Flea beetles did have a good go, but they are under control now (she says hoping  :-\).  And thank you Tim, if they are a good goer until late in the year, I will sow some in the gaps for an extra pak choi bonus!  ;D

NickG

• Noob
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 20:43:27 »
I thought Derris dust was a natural product, that could be used in an organic garden, is not the case? help ???

I will get some more fleece and cover, how long should the fleece stay on?

Thanks

Nick

P.S. sorry for Hijacking your thread E.J.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 20:44:06 by NickG »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 22:49:57 »
Hijack away.  I used Derris on my rocket and pak choi as they were being flea beetle attacked, and it does say that it is organic on the pot, but I guess, if you can avoid the use of anything chemical related, no matter how organic, then that can only be a good thing, and a barrier, like the fleece, is the way to go.  Have to say, my rocket was glorious under the fleece, so I removed the fleece and within days they were all full of holes! :o

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 07:07:41 »
Nick - yes - like pyrethrum from chrysanths -  'non-toxic to humans' in the right dose. Maybe I'm a bit para-whatnot, but anything that, in certain doses, causes harm, needs careful handling  & certainly kills bees &/or fish - is a no-no. And I don't want to feel committed to washing produce.

Fleece - a small nuisance, but I leave it on - as for carrots & brassica. = Tim
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 08:34:27 by tim »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 14:40:22 »
The HDRA's organic guidelines give derris and pyrethrum "qualified acceptance" it's definition is:

Qualified acceptance: materials and practices not suitable for regular use in an Organic garden. They are included to help those moving towards an Organic regime and to deal with particular problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal