Author Topic: HELP! I'm new to this  (Read 17877 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: HELP! I'm new to this
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 08:11:24 »
If it did you would have to waste time watering stuff!
 ;D

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 08:41:05 »
Hi there, back to the snake bit of ur post, as im sure many will say on here we have 3 kinds of snake in this country not counting any escapes made by pets of corse lol,
the Adder
the Grass snake apparently more common than the Adder
and even more rare is the smooth snake not slow worm i belive
a slow worm is a lizard with no legs
the Adder is the only 1 i no that could give a venemous bite but not dangerous unless extremely young or old or suffer heart prob's get a bite
please dont take this for gospel i looked up on net a while bk.
snakes are also protected animals i think could be wrong.
but you should feel pleased to have them around you and they are more scared of you than u are of it.
why not do a search on google on snakes like i did. you can find out all the markings and see pics and what not so atleast you will be btr prepared for if you c another one. MPG

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 18:34:48 »

Slow Worm (Legless Lizard)
Status:  Protected in Britain under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). Listed under Appendix III of the Bern Convention and Classified as a Species of Conservation Concern under the UK Biodiversity Action Plan (UKBAP), but not a priority species.
The slow worm, a legless lizard, was once thought to be a serpent and is often mistaken for a snake. There are certain features that separate the slow worm from snakes, however, including the presence of an eye lid, which earned the species the alternative name of 'blind worm'. This species is the most commonly seen reptile in Britain. Adults have a smooth, shiny appearance, and a grey or bluish belly. Males and females are different in appearance; females are brown, copper coloured or red on the back, with brown or black sides, often with lighter iridescent flecks. In many individuals there is a dark stripe passing along the middle of the back and stripes running along the sides of the body. Males vary in colour, they may be greyish, brown, coppery or reddish-brown, and typically do not have stripes; furthermore, they have broader and longer heads. Occasionally, individuals may have blue spots, a feature that is more common amongst males than females. In juvenile slow worms, the back is iridescent silver, gold, bronze or copper and the sides are brown or black.

Adder - Britain's only venomous snake and runs a mile when disturbed - unless trodden on like I did in which case it gives a non-fatal bite.
Status:  It is illegal to kill, injure, harm or sell adders under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981.
The adder is Britain’s only venomous snake and is, as a result, a much-maligned species with a wealth of folklore surrounding it. Despite the public perception of this snake, however, it is a shy, timid and non-aggressive species. This stocky snake is easily identified by the dark zigzag line passing along the back bordered by rows of spots. A dark mark which takes the form of an ‘X’, ‘V’ or ‘H’ is located on the rear of the angular head and the pupil is vertical. Males are greyish, whitish, pale yellow or cream in colour with very dark contrasting markings, whereas females are typically a brownish or reddish colour with brown markings. Females also tend to be longer and wider than males, and have shorter tails. Male and female juveniles are reddish in colour. In all cases, the belly is grey, greyish-brown or bluish, and the throat is dirty yellow or white. Completely black (melanistic) adders arise quite frequently.

Grass Snake
Status:  Protected in the UK by Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. Listed under Appendix III of the Berne Convention.
The grass snake is Britain's largest terrestrial reptile. This snake is typically olive-green, brown or greyish in colour, with a variable row of black bars along the sides, occasionally with smaller round markings along the back in double rows. The underside is off-white or yellowish with dark triangular or rectangular markings. A characteristic black and yellow collar is present behind the head, which has earned the species the alternative name of 'ringed snake'. Totally black (melanistic) forms and albinos occasionally arise. Males and females are generally similar in appearance, although females are often larger; males can be identified by the presence of a swelling at the base of the tail and by the fact that they have longer tails relative to females.

Smooth Snake (Extremely rare)
Status:  Listed under Appendix II of the Bern Convention, Annex IVa of the EC Habitats Directive, Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and Schedule 2 of the Conservation Regulations 1994.
This non-venomous snake is very rare in the UK, and is superficially similar in appearance to the adder (Vipera berus), but can be distinguished by a number of features including a rounder head and longer, slender build. It is brown or grey in colour and has dark spots on the upper surface rather than the zig-zag patterning characteristic of the adder. The eye has a round golden iris and the head is brown with a black crown and eye stripes. The common name 'smooth snake' refers to the scales, which lack the keel of the other British snakes.

And yes please. I would love to have one of our native snakes or a slowworm resident on my plot.

All the above information is courtesy of and no doubt copyright http://www.arkive.org
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 18:39:46 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 19:45:52 »
I should add the the smooth snake is restricted to a fairly small area on the South Coast.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 21:53:03 »
I should add the the smooth snake is restricted to a fairly small area on the South Coast.

And London and the Home Counties and the Midlands. As it is primarily a nocturnal creature it is rarely seen but that does not mean it is not around. I have quite a good population on my plots and give them the required hiding places, however, I've had to have serious words with them because they do not seem to be making any headway against the nightly invasion of slugs.

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 22:02:34 »
LOL U NEED SOME HEDGEHOGS, I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY SNAKES FOR AGES, I HOPE I HAVE THEM ON MY PLOT WHEN I GET 1.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 17:23:56 »

And London and the Home Counties and the Midlands. As it is primarily a nocturnal creature it is rarely seen but that does not mean it is not around. I have quite a good population on my plots and give them the required hiding places, however, I've had to have serious words with them because they do not seem to be making any headway against the nightly invasion of slugs.

Are you sure you mean the Smooth Snake? This sounds more like the Alow Worm, which is more widespread, oftwen nocturnal, and a great slug-eater. Smooth Snakes feed mainly on lizards, snakes and small mammals.

http://www.first-nature.com/reptiles/coronella_austriaca.htm

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 17:29:51 »
Distribution map for Smooth Snake:

courtesy of:
http://www.searchnbn.net/index_homepage/index.jsp
and the Slow Worm:
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 19:50:36 »
Are you sure you mean the Smooth Snake?

Please accept my apologies. I did mean slowworms. I will stand at the back of the class until I can afford new glasses.

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 21:56:48 »
Thanks for the pictures Redclanger.  After studying them we both agree that the snake was a grass snake.  Attended the allotment today, no snakes just plenty of slugs.  We have removed the netting now so if anymore snakes get in they can get out without killing themselves. 

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 22:33:03 »
hi there laurden... we may be your nearest allotmenteers on here...we are in hatfield....we to had such a overgrown plot...i went into hysterical.manic laughter when we went to view!...but cannot beleive wot we have acheived in 4 months! With no Round Up! We were tempted...but with some beg stealed and borrowed lino and old carpet...we now have 12 raised beds...full of produce...( we got our plot in april)...we are pretty smug!..Good luck ...a mission that seems impossible ...IS possible with lots of dedication. ;D

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 07:05:06 »
Hi Lottiewood

Good to hear you are enjoying the fun.  It's like another world, ours is Hixberry Lane, Hatfield side of St Albans.  There is a real community feel and it is total time out when we are there.  I have found it very satisfying watching how everything grows.  I am starting to plan now for next year.  I have learn't a great deal this summer so next year I could be in competition with Tesco's  ;)  I have a war on at the moment with slugs.  They are invading me like the Third Reich,  it is a constant battle.

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 14:20:55 »
Anyone help with ideas.

I have a clear patch now and do not know what to plant.  Can I plant garlic and onions now??  I have onion seeds (Bedfordshire Champion) but the packet says not to sow until Jan-Apr, my allotment books say I can sow onions about now, what do you all  think??

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 14:43:39 »
Not an expert, but I don't think anyone puts in garlic before October at the earliest. You could use that space to plant some quick growing leaf plants - lettuce,  pak choi etc which will harvest from around 6 weeks time then plant your garlic in November / December,

Or buy some seedlings e.g.

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/Catalogue____Pick_and_Mix_45.html

- not as satisfying as growing your own from seed, but would give a longer cropping period.

This article gives a pretty comprehensive description of growing onions.

http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/GrowingOnions.html

I think quite a few brassicas can still be planted for harvesting winter/spring. I've just started some more kales (dwarf curly and cavolo nero which are good croppers)

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 07:34:00 »
Thanks for your help; I decided to go with pointed cabbages, broccoli and purple broccoli.  All winter veg.  We will see how I get on, could be just a new war started with slugs over the winter  :(

One of the more mature members of the allotment said that it is good to leave the soil over the winter and just prepare it for next season.  What are your thoughts on this???

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 13:05:11 »
I think it is fair to say that most planting is done in the Spring. If you are going to clear more space before next Spring obviously you could use that for the spring planting even if your current bed is still producing / in use (e.g. garlic won't be ready until June/July).  Check when what you are planting is due to crop and plan accordingly.
Most beds, e.g. for spuds, can be prepared relatively close to planting if you dig in e.g. composted manure but I'm pretty sure fresh manure would have to go on in the winter since most plants can't take it until it has broken down a bit - not sure of the timing I'm afraid.

For our beds (all raised) that aren't going to be used over the winter, ideally I get them weed free, cover with manure then with fabric and leave them until wanted. The worms do the work of getting the manure into the soil.

One tip with brassicas I wish I'd known when we planted our first ones last year was that they should have very firm soil. Really tread down hard around the plants other wise they'll sprawl all over the place.

I think some of the more experienced gardeners should join in now :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal