Author Topic: HELP! I'm new to this  (Read 17896 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: HELP! I'm new to this
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 09:44:38 »
"Deep Root" comes in many different types, some of which contain glyphosate and some ammonium sulphamate. NO Deep Root product is approved for use on edible plants, so it should not be used where you intend to grow foodstuffs.

I would agree to a point but after time it totally dissolves. When I changed plots last spring, the new ground needed loads of work. I cleared and made 2 applications of Deeproot. Only 1/4 of the plot had stuff planted in it. Admittedly the remainder has been left empty whilst I cleared & prepared the ground for this year. I have used deeproot to clear previous plots and had no problems growing - though I did wait for 2 months before putting anything in the area treated.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 11:53:48 »
Personally I don't use anything but when making enquiries a few years ago when turning a lawn into a veggie patch I was told by some very careful gardeners  that there advice was to use nothing but if I must then use Roundup was the only one they would even consider as apparently  you can plant in it very quickly.  That's all I have,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 16:01:40 »
anyone heard of a product called burn, it's something farmers have access to, someone on our site used it, it's a very strong weedkiller, the bloke next to him isn't amused, it went on some of his rhubarb  :)

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 21:29:08 »
Just like to add, don't buy Roundup, buy store's own brand glyphosate, eg Wilkos is at least half the price of Roundup. Also, more and more pesticides are withdrawn each year, what is deemed safe today may be discovered to be lethal in ten years time. Just a thought. :-\

crown princess

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 21:49:41 »
yay, agree with above, buy wilkinson's own glyphosate, its much cheeper.  Not sure I'd use it on a veg bed though if I could avoid it,  but I must confess to using it on paths when desperate (i've been told it becomes inert on contact with the soil).

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 20:37:04 »
Hi all

Well I've now used a rotivator to turn over the beds, It all looks great I am in the process of fencing the plot in, to keep the rabbits out and I worked in the manure today.  It is looking real good.  I have sowed in trays, spring onions, beetroot, carrots, brussels, cabbages and lettuce.  Can't wait to put them in.

Thanks for all your support

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 09:32:33 »
Hope you've got before and after photos ...

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 11:04:45 »
Got to admit we didn't  :(. 

Having trouble buying resonably priced chicken wire.  Managed to get some from Wilkinson's but they are always sold out.  I paid 5.99 for it in Wilko's, I know B&Q do it but it is 15.99 for the same stuff.  Any suggestions? 

I am about to try the internet.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:49 »
mesh direct, we got 2x 25 metre for about 50.00  :)

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 11:59:38 »
Thank you for your swift reply.  However I have already tried them.  I wanted 600m x 50m which they use to sell for 27.95 but they are sold out and not expecting anymore until July and new stock will be 32.99.

fossil hunter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 20:55:04 »
You could try SCATS (if you have one near you) I got a load of mesh for my frames from there, it was over 60% cheaper than B&Q.
I took over an overgrown half plot last year and dug down 2 spits deep to clear all the bindweed and couch grass, I only have the odd bit of both regrowing where I missed it. Took about 5 months to do though. ::)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:15 »
mesh direct, we got 2x 25 metre for about 50.00  :)

This is about the right price for it. Try Googling for "Wire netting"
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 08:25:31 »
Managed to get Wilkinson's to put some to one side for me when it comes in, hopefully this weekend.

I have now come up with a good idea for keeping the birds and other pains in the neck out.  I have a plastic frame for a marquee.  I shall put the frame up and cover it with plastic netting. 

I am hoping to plant out this weekend but I am really stressed that I will go back after planting and the rabbits will have eaten it all!  Is their anything that I have to take particular care of? And is their anything that I do not have to worry about??  Or are my troubles about to begin  :-\

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 01:31:25 »
;D ;D ;D
              You poor wee soul , you sound like me last year ;D
This year I've decided to take a differant approach.
A wee verse I was told at school........years ago

Out of the gloom , A voice said unto me,
Smile and be happy, things could be worse,
So I smiled and was happy,and behold......
   Things did get worse.  :P
 ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry, things have a tendency to work themselves out ;)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 19:25:08 »
Well I have now planted.  Starting with spring onions, peas, sweet corn, beetroot (doing particularly well),carrotts, onions, brussell sprouts and potatoes.

Had to go in to hospital last week for an op, but I have today been to inspect my allotment and all is well, I was concerned about the amount of rain we have had but they are doing well and nothing has been eaten (touch wood).

I shall endeavour to take some photo's this week and up load them.

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 23:24:10 »
Hi all

All going well.  that was until last week when I found a dead snake caught up in the netting covering my brussels, I legged it when I first saw it, but got hubby to do the Tarzan thing and unravel it so as I could have a real look feeling a lot braver knowing it was 'brown bread'.  It is about 30 inches long, dark grey in colour with markings on the side. 

Is this normal??  What deters snakes?? ;)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 00:08:47 »
It sounds like a slow worm and I find your cavalier approach to its death a little distasteful >:(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 07:05:47 »
Trust me this was no worm!!

It was rather nasty looking with teeth.  If I could have saved it you could have given it a home on your plot as you like them so much.  I don't remember reading in either of my allotment books that I would have to deal with such species.  Where have the rabbits gone? seems they legged it the same time as I did.  Still, I must say that produce seems to be bug free now  :)

Although the experience has made me a little apprehensive when I am there on my own, I took my 80 year old mother with me yesterday for a bit of protection  ;) ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 07:42:22 »
Glad to hear you are getting a return on all your efforts.. sorry to hear about the Slowworm... "Worm" is an old word for reptile/snake/dragon like serpent, glad to hear the Bunnies have hopped it!
 ;D

Laurdan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 08:09:14 »
I have had a truly great first summer.  The reward is really exhilerating.  I cannot believe how quickly everything takes off.  I have sown and now reap the reward, potaoes, radishes, sprouts, tomatoes, carrotts, beetroot, sweetcorn, french beans, onions, cabbages and rhubarb. 

I still have a lot to learn but I am amazed that I have managed to grow so much.  I need to next year have a system going where by I am able to collect all produce on a regular basis.  At the moment it comes in bulk, so I have to learn to stagger the planting so the reward is more fluid.

I have set my self a target that on Christmas day I shall be eating my own potatoes, sprouts, carrotts.  Next year I shall plant parsnips and sweet peas to make the xmas dinner completely home grown, apart from the Turkey, of course!

The real joy is thinking what shall I do for dinner tonight, and then walking over the allotment to collect the produce, simply fantastic.  I have one moan the weather, will it ever stop raining?? 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal