Author Topic: Hello Gurus (Not been on for a while) Think i've messed up  (Read 2970 times)

jollyroger123

• Quarter Acre
Hello

I have started planting in my greenhouse.  Last week I planted Tomatoes, Cape Gooseberry, Peppers, Cucumbers, Leeks.

None of the seed appear to have germinated yet and i am concerned about the temperature,  I have a parrafin heater that i borrowed and i think (My Max/Min Thermometer was FUBAR) the temperature is still too low.

I have bought another max/min today and the temp today was 14C.  I will check the min temperature tommorow.

Also i have gone through about 15litres of parrafin (Expensive) and i have black soot around the greenhouse.

Will the seeds be okay, Should i bring them indoors or start again.  (Some of the seeds were farely expensive)

Thanks in advance Gurus

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Hello Gurus (Not been on for a while) Think i've messed up
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 22:20:42 »
I'd bring them indoors for a while or try & section off part of the greenhouse & just heat that.  I have made a big tent in the middle of my greenhouse & put the heater in that on VERY low at night only as it's getting up to 35 during the day when it's sunny.

jollyroger123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 22:29:43 »
Thanks

Do you think the seeds will still be viable.  I reckon my leeks will be okay but worried about the rest

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 22:41:00 »
tbh with you, i'm starting all my stuff off indoors, even with a parrafin heated greenhouse (yes very expensive).

mind you, a tub of Parmex carrots and Musselburgh leeks have germinated out there !

i'd say the black soot was having the flame up too high.

can't advise on the seeds though.  if it were me, i'd bring them inside for a while and see what happens to them.

::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:41:39 »
 I would wager on the heater being the flat wick type. They are prone to giving off black fumes if the wick is either too high (as stated above) or not trimmed properly.You have been lucky not to get more damage.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 17:24:57 »
I'm with KP, bring the seeds in and give them a chance!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

jollyroger123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 22:00:10 »
Okay

Thanks i brought the seeds in.  They are now taking up my spare room.  I've replanted most of them (Just in case) and spent the day cleaning my greenhouse again,

Don't think its meant to be though, i was bring in a growbag tray full of newly planted seeds and dropped it.  Might have some nice flower coming through the floor though,

Thanks again

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 16:58:41 »
 I've grown almost everything on the windowsills above radiators and put them out in the cold Gh as soon as they germinated. All have survived without heat. Mind you it hasn't been very cold here in Brum.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

jollyroger123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 22:08:37 »
Some of the results of bring em in.

Now im worried they are doing too well.

Does anyone know the best way to seperate Lobelia decided to sow some myself this year and save some pennies.  Have thousands of seedlings.  (Some Shown Below)

Some of my cucumbers - Dont know what to do with them all now.

F1 Superbell and Marketmore

Flower seedlings and some of my tomatoes.

More cucumbers and other stuff.

I also have more in a heated propagator and other seed trays.  The spare room is not so spare now.

Planted So Far

Leeks - Musselburgh
Dahlia - Dwarf Border
Cape Gooseberry - Little Lantern (was worried about these but i have 16 plants)
Gazania F1 Red Stripe
Livingstone Daisy - Sparkles Mixed
Lobelia Trailing - Red cascade and Sapphire (love this stuff)
Petunia - Mixed
Upright Lobelia - Mixed
Mimulus - Freckles
Pepper Sweet - F1 Jumbo
Tomato - Moneymaker
Cucumber - Superbel F1
Cucumber - Marketmore
Chilli Pepper De Cayenne
Begonia - Tomfoolery Mix - (I sowed these seeds on the 10/03/07 not germinated yet and everything else has)
Tomato - Ailsa Craig
Busy Lizzie - Mixed
Pepper - Cayenne - F1 Apache
Spring Onion - White Lisbon
Chilli Jalapeno z5
Capsicum - Californian Wonder
Tomato - Gardeners Delight

All have germinated (Begonia Aside)- Most since 10/03/07 and i have had to repot some cucumbers already.

Any Advice on these would be appreciated.  i wont be able to grow them all on.  Was going to do 1 of each Tomatoes, Peppers and cucumbers.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 22:14:38 »
i'm leaving potting up my cukes and lobelia until i get back on 3/4 !

lobelia i'm just potting up in chucks.

everything will take it's chance !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 22:52:28 »
Did the Gazania germinate well? I'm not a flower person but they went well in our sale last year and I like them...
 ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 00:00:57 »
I find it incredible that some one will pay £300+ on a green house £50 on seeds another £30+ on compost, tray, pots etc then borrow a poxy old parrafin heater to make it all work.

jollyroger123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 22:12:39 »
I know. Probably a bad idea but the good news (Bad news depending on how you look at things) is all the plants are fine possibly too fine in that soon the cucumbers will need to go out and it will probably still be too cold.  The greenhouse was only £50.00 Bargain ex-display from B & Q with i think the vents and the aluminium shelving i got with cost more than that.  But i do have a seed buying problem - Need to see someone (seeds anonymous????)

Anyhoo ill keep you all updated with progress.  Soon be a guru

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal