Author Topic: Vermiculite  (Read 1119 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Vermiculite
« on: March 17, 2007, 23:29:44 »
I want to buy some vermiculite, or rather young Lorna is buying it for Mother's Day pressie. I have found some in a catalogue The Big Three. The price is £17.95 plus £4.95postage for 100 litres (medium grade) Is this about right or do any of you know of a better price. Many thanks Lorna.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Vermiculite
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 23:47:58 »
Good grief, Lorna, what on earth are you going to do with that much?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 08:14:17 »
vermiculite will last a LONG time.... try wilko's or local garden centre. I paid 20p/bag at the wilko end of season sale.

I will say you want medium or small grade. Wilkos being cheap was a bit on the large side for fine seeds so i tend to mix it in with compost for my bigger seeds.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:51:11 »
Georgie. Charlie always bought 100litres when he did all the cuttings and seeds, (mostly cuttings.)  As Olive Oil mentioned it does last a long time. When you compare the price with the small bags which are the only ones I can buy locally  it is really economical. The catalogue price is £7.50 for 25litres but you still have the postage charge of £4.95.
Lorna

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:15:26 »
I am not up on prices but I do agree with buying in 100 litre bags.

Just a thought from my experience; Vermiculite normally comes in three grades Large medium and fine.

Large is basically for compost improvement, medium for cuttings and fine for seed sowing.

I find medium a good buy simply because it is more versatile. You can put a bit extra in if you want to improve compost, its fine for cuttings and if you seive it (its quite dusty) you get a nice sowing medium.

Just thought I would mention it!!  ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 10:56:37 »
Tee Gee I thought I would get the medium grade. Just clicked on vermiculite in your post and have come up with some more suppliers. Found one that is bit cheaper than price in my catalogue.
Lorna 

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:05:31 »
i've mixed wilko's vermiculite with compost for the seeds that i've sown so far, seems to be fine, even with the tiny salad leaves seeds.  Go steady tho', it is v dusty x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal