Author Topic: greenhouse bases  (Read 2221 times)

pierre

• Not So New ...
greenhouse bases
« on: March 17, 2007, 21:51:08 »
I have aquired a greenhouse but I am unsure how to prepare a solid base for it.Has anyone any ideas about how to do this.

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: greenhouse bases
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 22:00:00 »
For both my sheds i bought fence posts and put the shed on them, the advantages are that it is an easy base to put down, the post are already treated and they raise the shed of the ground and away from damp.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:34:37 »
My last method in the garden was designed to be there forever! So I measured out the base, dug out all the soft soil, back filled with hardcore and 4" of concrete.
On that I put one course of bricks. I laid them 'dry' first and checked the greenhouse lip actually fitted!
Then I laid the bricks proper...now wished I'd laid two courses for that bit of extra height.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:17 »
I used concrete fence edgings they are 6 ft long and 10 inch deep just lay them out to whatever size your green house is. This allows me to plant direct into soil so i'm not buying growbags every year. I replace half the soil every year with manure and compost. Oh and secure down at each corner.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 15:06:30 »
For both my sheds i bought fence posts and put the shed on them, the advantages are that it is an easy base to put down, the post are already treated and they raise the shed of the ground and away from damp.

I've no idea why i was going on about sheds  ???

For my greenhouse i put down hardcore then placed fence posts on top, then screwed the greenhouse to the posts. I then knocked in some posts in the corners to stop the greenhouse shifting when it gets really windy.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 22:26:00 »
My last method in the garden was designed to be there forever! So I measured out the base, dug out all the soft soil, back filled with hardcore and 4" of concrete.
On that I put one course of bricks. I laid them 'dry' first and checked the greenhouse lip actually fitted!
Then I laid the bricks proper...now wished I'd laid two courses for that bit of extra height.

Did you apply for planning?

as having such a base would class it as a permanent structure just like as a gargae would.

on one of mine I use 4x4 treated post the other just on the soil will life next year on to post/slabs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal