Author Topic: My first day on the allotment  (Read 2459 times)

MPH

• Not So New ...
My first day on the allotment
« on: May 08, 2004, 15:58:48 »
Well, just returned from my first day on the allotment.  It turns out that the plot I was supposed to be having is already taken by someone so I've been given another plot.  This one needs weeding!

Anyway, started at about 10am pulling up some of the big weeds and starting a compost heap.  Then I decided to prepare an area for planting so picked a corner and worked from there.  Turning the soil with a fork and removing any weeds.  The soil is very good, loose but damp and very well drained.  I now had an area of well dug soil about 7ft by 18ft.

Popped home for some lunch (will take sandwiches next time!) then returned for a couple of hours with the rake and trowel.  I now have 4 rows planted consisting of beetroot, mixed lettuces, radish and cucumbers.  

My Sweetcorn will be going in next to these when ready and I'll continue to clear another patch for my parsnips, onions, garlic etc.

I made the guy on the plot next to mine laugh.  I found out why when he came over and lowered my string lines.  I had them about 12" from the ground  ::)  

Anyway, hopefully I'll be back for a few hours tomorrow to clear another area.  I need to find some pallets or a compost bin cheap too.  I bought a small sealed plastic bin for my kitchen waste that I can take with me when full and add to the heap.

Now I'm going for a long soak in the bath before popping to the pub to pay last nights bar bill.  And maybe have a well earned pint  :P

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:My first day on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 16:43:26 »
Well done MPH  hope that you enjoyed it.You may need a Radox bath before the pub though.I saw your name in Chat so popped in to say hello but you must have forgot to exit as no-one was there. Anyway glad you made a start and enjoyed it keep us posted on how you go on. May catch you in Chat later.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 17:00:07 by budgiebreeder »
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 17:26:33 »
well done- you put me to shame,but it was raining here -then when it cleared up there was a footy match. :-[

Stephan.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 21:05:02 »
nice one MPH sound like you made some real progress!

MPH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 09:09:22 »
Cheers everyone.  I'll hopefully get back this evening for a few hours and clear some more.

Budgiebreeder - not sure what happened with chat, popped in for a minute, found it empty so (thought I'd) left.  Did end up with a Radox bath.... and a few more beers than anticipated  :-\

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 09:37:50 »
MPH,

1. Congratulations

2. Slow down a bit - you're making me feel guilty.  ;)

Pallets for compost bins are not too diffiuclt to find and stuffed with some form of insulation, straw, polystrene etc make excellent and quick bins

Phil

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 23:51:48 »
How to make a compost bin in six easy steps

1.   Buy first house
2.   Discover old doors in garage
3.   Get Dad to saw doors in half
4.   Get Dad to nail half doors together in square
5.   Get Dad to persuade Mum to have nice new compost bin in nice new car.
6.    Get Dad to deliver compost bin to allotment.

Sorted!!!!!
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 18:12:30 »
Excellent!  No looking back now!!

Dad's!  Love 'em!  Worth their weight in gold!

:'(

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 19:02:30 »
hey same thing happened to me, chose a lovely little plot on a wall, only to find out it was taken by someone else!!! never mind though the one that i have to put up with has several crowns of rhubarb, so i am made up.

good luck with your beetroots anyhow.

dannylewis

;D :D ;D
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal