Author Topic: DVLA - Help!!!  (Read 1970 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
DVLA - Help!!!
« on: March 08, 2007, 17:11:52 »
I'll keep this brief.

I scrapped my car in November, sent off the papers to DVLA and sent off my disc (separately) for tax refund.

Anyway received money for tax refund a couple of weeks later, then last week I got a letter saying that i had failed to relicense the vehicle.

From what i understand they havent received the rego papers and now want me to pay £40 immediately in teh form of a fine!!! or else £80... it says clearly in the letter that if i do not own the vehicle i still have to pay!

I am in the middle of writing to them... but not sure what to do

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: DVLA - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 18:03:06 »
 >:(

DVLA...I could spit! I had a very similar problem with them a few years ago and ended up phoning them and speaking to a real person. The letter I wrote got "lost" apparently!

Try phoning, it may be easier to explain in person rather than write. You could ask them to ring you back if it's going to be a long call...

:-\

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 20:19:14 »
Phone the DVLA by all means but you will still have to prove the vehicle was scrapped. I presume you sent the original documents as proof of scrapping the vehicle. If this is the case then the company who did the scrapping should be able to help you out. ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 21:01:53 »
Guess what i found whilst looking for the scrapping receipt!!!! Yes the rego papers!  It says on the letter NOT to phone they will not discuss but to put it in writing... so now...

Do i write a sweet letter with the rego papers... or plead ignorance and blame RM on the matter

ahhhhh i cant believe i didnt post it - sealed envelope and stamp and everything!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 21:05:13 »
just say that RM returned it as no one would sign for it :-)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 21:11:37 »
Do i write a sweet letter with the rego papers... or plead ignorance and blame RM on the matter

Umm... in most cases I'd go with option a),  but with the bureaucrats at DVLA I'd be tempted to go for option b) together with a photocopy of the [retrieved] rego papers.

Quote from: OliveOil
ahhhhh i cant believe i didnt post it - sealed envelope and stamp and everything!
Just shows you're human! :)

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:51:31 »
Honesty has to be the way forward with this one, I mean you do want them to withdraw the fine don't you. A nice letter telling them how silly you are etc.. should work. You won't have been the first one to do this, so the path for them will be well laid out Good luck. ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 22:02:15 »
Gosh i even forgot about this thread AND the DVLA again as i went back to work like a silly moose... instantly regretted it when i reached my pigeon hole.

oh well, will have to sort it out tomorrow.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:25:34 »
Keep copy's of everything with dates of correspondence.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 17:22:53 »
I agree keep copies of everything and get the letter sent recorded delivery for the extra 70p they cannot say they never received it. You got the GPO on your side. well thats a laugh at least

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 19:30:46 »
Gosh i even forgot about this thread AND the DVLA again as i went back to work like a silly moose... instantly regretted it when i reached my pigeon hole.

oh well, will have to sort it out tomorrow.

When you get a reply from the DVLA pleeese let us know what transpires. ;) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal