Author Topic: Mount Everest strawberry plant help please  (Read 11203 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Mount Everest strawberry plant help please
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:08:59 »
I allowed my six year old to choose a strawberry plant at the garden centre a few weeks ago.  Stupidly I did not look too closely at it until I got home.  It is aparently a climbing variety called Mount Everest.  Unfortunately there are not instructions on the label, and the first flowers are now blooming.  I have no idea what to do with it, or where to put it, and what type of frame it will need, if any.  I have googled the variety, but as you imagine I keep getting pages and pages about a very tall mountain!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Mount Everest strawberry plant help please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:39:32 »
Is it definitely a climber?
I've never heard of climbing strawberries before.

Maybe it's called Mount Everest because of the size and shape of the fruits.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:16:09 »
Found this....

Everest is a fairly new variety out of the U.K. It has large, firm, bright red berries. It does not runner well and is only suited for plasticulture. Over wintering can be a problem with this one.

and this....

http://www.topr8.co.uk/evereststrawberry/

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:18:14 »
The climbing 'bit' got me too ???

The label reads (in French, with what I think is the translation) :

FRAISIER (strawberry)

GRIMPANT (climbing plant) - REMONTANT (double cropping)
MOUNT EVEREST

RECOLTES DE JUIN AUX GELEES (to pick in June to frosts)

The picture looks like the plant is either up against a wall, or located very close to one.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:21:27 »
Thanks Sawfish, I was beginning to think I was mad. 

The fruits sound lovely, so I will persevere and see what happens.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 13:17:41 »
I think I would do the reverse of climbing i.e. put them in a hanging basket/pouch and let them trail down!

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 19:46:52 »
I think I would do the reverse of climbing i.e. put them in a hanging basket/pouch and let them trail down!

Tee Gee, that sounds like a brilliant idea.  I would never have thought of doing that, but what an interesting idea for handing baskets. 

Just one question though, do I need to cover them with netting whilst they are growing and/or producing fruit?  There are loads of birds here, and I am concerned that they will try to eat the plants like they do with the fat balls I put out for them.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 19:51:35 »
It is actually an everbearing variety,not a climber. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 13:50:39 »
I am concerned that they will try to eat the plants like they do with the fat balls I put out for them.

Ah!! see what you get for training them ;D ::)

Seriously though I would say they will be OK whilst growing but as with all strawberries they will want covering when in fruit!

Hopefully you will at least not be troubled with slugs & snails, although I have found them from time to time in my wall baskets.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 13:34:26 »
Mt Everest is a climbing French strawberry - I have seen pictures where they climb up a big conical frame, about 1.5 m tall!!! They are spectacular and very pretty, I am led to believe that they crop well. So a trellis would be ideal. Then again, yes I can't see why you couldn't hang them downwards for a similar effect. They are multi-croppers, several times in the season (perpetual?). Here's a pic: http://www.willemsefrance.fr/Fruitiers/Autres-fruitiers/Fraisiers/masque105_fraisier-mount-everest_52761.html
in French, sorry.
Hope this helps. I live in France so if anyone needs help with French labels, or varieties, ask me!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 19:48:45 »
Thanks for that Antipodes.  Climbing Strawberries did seem a bit unusual, but at least I know what I have.

The picture on the plant's label looks fantastic (just like the one one your link), but you cannot tell if they are tumbling or climbing.  I liked Tee Gee's suggestion so much so that I went and bought a second plant yesterday.  I am going to dig out my handing baskets tomorrow, and mount them each side of my front door.  It should certainly make an interesting display.

I too live in France, (moved last year), and find the instructions on plants and seeds very basic.  Thanks for the offer of translation, I may well take you up on that.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 21:38:33 »
Thank you for educating me, I see Mount Everest and Everest are different,I had no idea there was a difference between the two and a big one too, Thank you Xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal