Author Topic: Mouse alert!  (Read 4746 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Mouse alert!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 23:19:40 »
Oh Lorna, having to ware glasses the old wooden ones were a night mare, so got 3 of this type from local pet shop they have never failed to catch mice best money I ever spent every one dead. Four years I have had them so easy to set and empty the prebaited stuff still working its wonderfull

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 23:21:23 »
I use a plastic version of the old wooden type, from Homebase... Peanut butter makes a great bait..  we use crunchy ;D
They aren't big enough for a "Human" trap and man traps are illegal... nothing humane about how people treat other people.....
 ::)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 10:36:13 »
Ordinarily I've used humane traps, which have caught the odd one.. but I'm really starting to see the logic in using ones that kill. They get so wily, they steal the food out of my array of humane traps. And with it coming up to courgette/squash sowing season...

The ones that I really wouldn't use are glue traps - apparently mice get so frightened, they tend to chew their limbs off in order to escape. :(

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 12:28:17 »
The ones that I really wouldn't use are glue traps - apparently mice get so frightened, they tend to chew their limbs off in order to escape.

Things like that really should be banned. And why, with all the other sorts available?

cj

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 12:50:04 »
teresa. will have a look in my local pet shop tomorrow. I also wear glasses and it is a tedious job to set wooden ones. Thanks for pointing them out.

Re glue ones. Years ago I worked in a local grocery shop (before supermarkets!!) and we had trouble with mice. I remember the Manager putting down these sheets of paper which were smothered in some sort of glue. It was horrible there were times when we opened up shop and a poor mouse was still alive and trying to escape.
Lorna

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 13:16:52 »
Hi all,

I`ve been setting two sprung rat traps in my shed because I was
spending too much on poison. This started after I lay more concrete
slabs on the floor to try to keep the rats out knowing that eventually they will
tunnel under and re-appear. I`ve since caught two mice which fortunately
get bounced out of the traps so the corpses are easier to dispose of.
I`ve been baiting with peanut butter which I smear onto the spring pad with
my potting dibber whilst I hold the pad in the set postition with a small trowel from underneath. This seems to work after I was caught the first time. I also wear
thick gloves because it really really hurts.  :-X

I hate having to do it but its still a losing battle so far.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 20:50:23 »
I allowed a cat access to my shed over winter where it used to occasionally urinate in a corner. Now I've blocked its access through the broken window and the cat urine smell perceptible to us humans has gone over the last month.

I now have no sign of mice whatsoever, I hope it continues.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal