Author Topic: Campsis radicans  (Read 1390 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Campsis radicans
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:26:42 »
My campsis radicans is 6 or 7 years old and grows/climbs well - (but only to about 5') - each year. The foliage always looks very healthy but it has never even thought about flowering. I've just told it that it's destined for the compost heap come autumn if it doesn't get its act together this year but is there anything else I could do to encourage it to flower?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Campsis radicans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 00:13:51 »
I've got one that flowers very well, although I don't do anything special to it. Grown from seed, it didn't start to flower until it was about 5 years old though, so maybe you need to wait. Mine is situated in a dryish spot, in full sun against a fence. I don't water or feed it, but I think they do like it sheltered and warm to flower.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:39:36 »
Thanks for that, jennym.  :-* Could be a position/aspect problem with mine then  as it doesn't exactly get full sun all day and is a little bit exposed to the wind. How pretty is yours when it's flowering? Does it have a long flowering season? (I don't know anyone else who grows one! ???) Is it worth me trying to move it - (or getting someone move it!) - to somewhere more suitable? (Don't want to go to all that trouble if it's not really going to deserve one of my few 'prime sites'!)

Rohaise

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 15:28:25 »
 Dear Grandma   :)       I bought one two years back ..put it in a tub . It grew FAST , but no flowers.  I have just planted it out ,up against the fence in a hot position , with a dollop of well rotted manure........so watch this space .  I have this feeling that it might turn out to be a bit of a thug .    I cant find any pictures of it ,only descriptions , it sounds like a beautiful flower .           
              Rohaise  x

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 17:15:33 »
Please keep me posted, Rohaise! If a move induces your youngster to flower it just might do the same for my 'old timer'! I've never seen one in flower either but, like you, I couldn't resist giving it a go just from the description. I wonder if jennym might post a picture for us when hers is in full bloom?  (Please, jennym - we'd love to see it! ;)) For this year, I think I'm just going to water mine with tomato food - (it's supposed to encourage most flowering things to flower :-\) - and it's a whole lot easier than moving it! Good luck with yours. x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal