Author Topic: What footwear??  (Read 8807 times)

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
Re: What footwear??
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 17:47:40 »
At the moment, cheap walking boots from decathlon - £20, very comfy but they do get caked up with mud. 

If I could find a place that did size 3 rigger/steel toecapped boots I'd definitely get some. Any ideas? 

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 19:57:34 »
Wellies in the winter, Timberland type boots  for the rest of the year esp when digging or cutting the grass and sandals in the summer  -but your feet can get a bit muddy if you don't aim straight with the watering can!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 21:11:19 »
your feet can get a bit muddy if you don't aim straight with the watering can!
Hate that muddy flip flop thing!
It's been pair of old walking boots for me. I know my funky wellies won't last down there so haven't even bothered. Want some nice cat style boots for down the lottie I think, as grazing the side of my foot with the fork when I went down in trainers at the weekend made me jump!  :o
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

beachlover

• Not So New ...
  • Isle of Wight
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2007, 21:54:12 »
Wellies in the winter, Timberland type boots  for the rest of the year esp when digging or cutting the grass and sandals in the summer  -but your feet can get a bit muddy if you don't aim straight with the watering can!
Is watering can a euphemism? - Feet astride and give it some pressure man  ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 22:45:05 »
Behave yourself beach lover!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 22:53:47 »
Rolling in it RC...fat chance.  They were on special in TKMax before Christmas - rrp £99.00, he paid £49.99.  I got them for Christmas and as I do gardening for work as well as fun, he felt it important I have a good supporting, weather proof pair of sturdy boots.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 07:05:21 »
ankle wellies at the mo, sandals in summer, I don't do digging  ;D, if I'm doing anything heavier than a watering can, I get told off as i shouldn't

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 12:18:56 »
Is watering can a euphemism? - Feet astride and give it some pressure man  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:34 »
They were on special in TKMax before Christmas - rrp £99.00, he paid £49.99.

I got my gardening boots from TKMax a few years ago – nice pair of Blundstones for £30 ;D!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 12:47:09 »
Old flat, "sensible" leather shoes that get relegated from office wear, to mufti wear, to allotment wear. They get abused till they get too leaky (nowt wrong with a mudde pair of socks that a washing machine can't fix!) then are eventaully binned. Have got a pair of old trainers for wet weather.

I have terrible trouble with:
- finding wellies to fit instep and calf while not becoming a flapping pool of rubber at the ankle.
- tucking my jeans in (socks never hold them in for long and bicyle clips are uncomfortable)
- justifying spending wods of dosh on shoes just for the allotment.  I may be a laydee but I'm not one of the shoe-laden variety!

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 15:46:06 »
Rigger boots i wear them all the time in allotment nice and warm to

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 17:51:49 »
Rolling in it RC...fat chance.  They were on special in TKMax before Christmas - rrp £99.00, he paid £49.99.  I got them for Christmas and as I do gardening for work as well as fun, he felt it important I have a good supporting, weather proof pair of sturdy boots.
Wish I had been to TK-Max.  My TNF boots (RRP £135 paid £45 from CMM in Nottingham) are to last me another five years but at that pirce I think I would have been in there like a shot :) Always get my sunglasses from TK-Max - last pair RRP £110, paid £18 - don't give a fig if they are (soooooo) last year('s) ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2007, 17:36:44 »
Iwear     full  wellies in the winter and ankle wellies in the summer for the lotie
Sue

beachlover

• Not So New ...
  • Isle of Wight
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2007, 18:38:10 »
Sorry for the "watering can" quip  ;D
I think I am moving towards rigger boots for the digging and winter/spring and then a pair of cheap walking boots for the summer. I like the idea of foot protection and not getting holed or tetanus, so flip flops and trainers just sound a bit iffy to me, but thanks to eeryone for helping out and chipping in

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 15:55:54 »
I don't dig much as I use raised beds. However, I do need a good pair of waterproof boots and wellies are sooooo cold. I'm considering buying some fleece-lined boots from Cotton Traders which are currently on offer.  See http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=450
Has anyone tried these and if so do you like them?

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 16:22:05 »
I'm wearing cheapo wellies at the mo but always 'double sock' - can't stand having cold feet!  Double socking is the way to go  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal