Author Topic: A blissful day  (Read 2258 times)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: A blissful day
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 19:22:20 »
Well, we finally go tthe lottie today, yippee!  ;D  Beautiful sunny day, i took both my coat and jumper off at one point  :o

Finally finished our wood chippings paths, planted about 80 of each red baron & sturon onion sets, noticed the garlic we planted about two weeks ago is sprouting already  ;D and planted two rasberry bush things, one in honour of my uncle who passed away two years ago today and one for dear supersprout.  Straw mulch will follow soon  ;)

Just had pie, mash & gravy for supper, and now enjoying a large glass of red wine & watching football, all in all a great day  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

veggirl

• Not So New ...
  • west cornwall
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 19:48:57 »
Lovely day had by us here today as well. Got loads of brambles cleared, chopped back a MAMMOTH Fuchsia , double dug and removed stones from another bed and planted more leek seeds. Didn't get around to sowing the tomato seeds I had promised myself I would get done as  M-I-L rang and is unwell so made them a cottage pie to take over for tea and made a lush cauli cheese and smoked bacon for us.

In fact the only down side of the day was coming in very grubby and tired, putting the  the offending jeans/fleece into the washing machine then discovering the 'hands free' phone is on a 60 degree wash  :o

Still... no more dirty phone calls for us then!!

VG x

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 19:51:04 »
What a wonderful weekend.  We finally finished the (bordered) seed beds, and my OH strimmed loads of brambles from the garden's borders.  

Our neighbours (farmers), seem to appreciate the effort we are putting into restoring our garden, and love seeing our children playing.  One of the sisters came round with again fresh eggs, and we went through all our packs of seeds.  She told us exactly when to plant them, and what needs a cold-frame, shelter etc.  She obviously picked up on our enthusiasm and took the OH to her patch, and he came home with tonnes of fresh veg.  Just boiling the beetroot now :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 20:18:17 »
Finally got to the plot at about 1pm but needed some sharp sand for the carrot bed, so braved the rugby traffic for a Homebase run - normally takes 5 mins took 30mins grrr.

Planted the new strawberry bed - 40 new plants, Malling Opal and Perfection from Dobies, very healthy looking plants but still have half the bed to fill even with 12" spacing.  After 40 holes dug and filled the knees could take no more, so......sharp sand and compost on the onion and carrot bed and also a bit a chemical warfare on the couch to make digging a bit easier.

Was going to take some pictures but left the camera at home - doh

I knew England had won because of the enormous cheer that went up and then the endless choruses of Sweet Chariot - wish they would learn the verses!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 20:25:34 »
transplanted the rest of the calis and cabbages in to bigger fibre pots,
 I've had to plant up the french beans in the poly bed as they had gone mad..
watered everything in the greenhouse that needed it,
covered the last carrot bed with fleece to get it ready,
 planted kohl rabi and turnips in small fibre pots, trying to grow them and plant so less slug damage, fingers crossed

worn out now, just put the heated blanket on to ease all the aches and pains when I get to bed.. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal