Author Topic: Moles !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3534 times)

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
Moles !!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 10, 2004, 08:28:14 »
AAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:(

Right, now that is out of the way, anyone got any foolproof methods of mole removal (is there already a thread about this - I can't be the only one who gets pestered by moles).

So far I have tried jumping up and down (heels first) all over the area where the the mole hill was appearing - it stopped when I started jumping - but not for long.

Then came the frantic stabbing all over the ground with my dung fork.  Again without much success.

Pushed a hose pip down the top of the hill and left it running (at fairly high pressure) for 15 minutes - they are obviously related to fish!

Someone bought one of those devices that you stab into the ground that emits sounds (into the ground) that tell the critter to sod off! (I like to imagine that its sounds of moles having horrid things done to them).  Not entirely successful either, they just keep their distance - which isn't that far!

AAAAAAhhhhhhhHHHHHHhhhhh  !!!!!!  - that's better

Always look on the bright side of life

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:Moles !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 09:46:25 »
Having had experience of these wonderful furry Critters.You have my utmost sympathy.THey even came up through my paths.Yes there is a thread somewhere in the archives about this.Moth balls(from the old we sell everything shops)music noises down the hole are but a few of what i remember were discussed.Dont dispair mine did go never to return.Famous last words do you think.
The price the Local Council wanted for sending a Molecatcher was something like £80.00 a visit.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 12:42:22 »
I accidently dug up a moles nest a few weeks back.  Two little babies, bald and blind.  Just wish the moles would make a zillion mole hills on the disused plots so that I could go nab all the lovely crumbly top soil!

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 16:14:09 »
I only know the Jasper Carrot method.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 17:02:25 »
Well, I have a mole in my garden that is about the size of a small Alsation if the  molehills are anything to go by. The dogs are also investigating the smells in the mole hills and trying to dig down to it.  So you can imagin the mess in the garden.  I have succumbed :-[ and bought (whisper mode on)... a mole trap (whisper mode off) only thing is I just cant bear to put the thing in the mole run so have chickened out and left it to other half.  Hope he will destroy the evidence too. Will let you know how I get on.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 10:12:35 »
Mole update !!!

I seem to have intimitated the subterranean vandal into moving off to a neighbouring lottie.  Either that or the invade in herds!

We have now formed a posse and are installing a mole trap tonight - providing my wife manages to purchase one today.  Anyone know where I can get hold of a WMD (Weapon of Mole Destruction  ;D)?

Buy the way (someone has to ask, but I know I'll regret this) .... what is the Jasper Carrot method?
Always look on the bright side of life

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 10:42:32 »
When JC had a mole in his lawn, he tried all the normal methods - mothballs in the runs, traps, kiddies windmills, ultrasonic scarers etc. before resorting to a 12-bore shotgun. The police came and arrested him, as someone had seen him lurking out there with a gun in the night, and he was just blazing away at the mole when they arrived to investigate.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 18:25:58 »
I bought mine in the local farmers co-operative Bionic Wellies but as I'm a country bumpkin it is easier for me. Dont know how you would manage if you live in towns.....maybe an old fashioned chandlers shop????
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 15:50:19 »
I've gone for the clear-conscience method - a humane trap.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 17:53:15 »
There was indeed a long thread about mole removal.
1 Water down the holes. Hmm, we emptied the grey water from our septic tank down a mole run, over 200 watering cans full of it and it all disappeared as did the moles from that part of the garden.
2 Noise machine. Ours just came to investigate and stayed to dance.
3. Mothballs or Renardine, no effect visible.
4. Humane traps, just remember that moles die of thirst and hunger in a very short time so check often. And if you release them somewhere, make sure there are no other moles there. Moles are very territorial and will kill any intruders. Also they need to be back underground very soon after release or they do not survive.
5. Traps. You need to find a run, look between hills rather than putting it in a hill, else they just push soil and block the trap mechanism. Wear rubber gloves as they are very sensitive to smell and will avoid a run which has your scent in it. I usually cover the trap with an upturned bucket, put so no light can get into the run as this would also scare them off.
Fingers crossed, the runs can be a long way down (12 feet is recorded) and they are quick learners of the dangers of traps too. Best of luck.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal