Author Topic: Hanging Baskets  (Read 2297 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Hanging Baskets
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:25:37 »
My wife has kindly told my sister that I'll grow some plants for her hanging baskets but as I only ever grow veg I have now idea what to grow or when to start them, any advise on this would be appreciated.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Hanging Baskets
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 14:02:22 »
Have a look in here  http://tinyurl.com/3cywtr  for a few ideas and pictures of mine over the years.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 14:48:49 »
Hi, Mickw..we're planting ours up with easy plants, petunia, lobelia, nemisia, seems like lots of stuff ending in ia..we're going to be selling them so are looking for maximum impact with minimum problems, also doing some tumbler tomato and herb ones, wouldn't your sister like a veggie based one?   ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 18:25:31 »
I always do busy lizzie, but last year I did some fibrous begonias and they kept beautiful all season. You do have to plant some around the outside though cos they dont drape like  some of the other basket plants.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 19:07:21 »
Hi Mick, I would advise you to really c0ck it all up otherwise you will have to do them next year as well.

Also the best way to view hanging baskets is out of a pub window.  Soooo last century, it is only the old buffers who hang them nowadays ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 19:39:00 by ACE »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 19:32:01 »
hope we get lots of old buffers to buy ours then, ace  ;D

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 19:48:41 »
Have a look in here  http://tinyurl.com/3cywtr  for a few ideas and pictures of mine over the years.

Very classy baskets, the Purple Vein Petunia is also a favourite of mine. :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 20:06:44 »
Mick, B&Q are selling small plants for hanging baskets 75p each 10 for £6.00.  They have fuchsias, surfinia and million bells petunias, bacopa, verbena etc, etc.  You can get some good plants, with quite a bit of cutting material on them to multiply your stock.  They root very easily and you can eventually get cuttings from your cuttings.  I use a 50/50 mix of multipurpose compost and vermiculite, and get a very good success rate.

Busy lizzies are also good container plants, but I find the most economical way of buying them is the plug plants from the seed companies.  110 seedlings for about £10.00.

valmarg

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 07:35:55 »
trailing strawberries.

http://tinyurl.com/3c583p

I got these for that very reason a couple of weeks ago. Shove a few plants in and your off.

By the way Jparkers are excellent and so cheap for everything including all types of fruit. I ordered 25 strawberry plants and got 33.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:38:26 by sawfish »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 17:28:51 »
OI Ace, not so much of the old buffers i have 14 hanging baskets what does that make me, don`t you dare answer that. ;D They are very colourfull, so there. :P :P.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 08:29:25 »
Hi MickW, my hanging baskets will all be Tumbling Tomatoes - they were fantastic last year - so doing 6 baskets this year!
Kathi :-)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:27:58 »
Thanks for the info guys, my seeds are now sown so we'll see how it goes.

I did do Tumbling Tomatoes last year but Tracy ate every one before anyone else had a chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal