Produce > Edible Plants

watercress

(1/4) > >>

clare:
Hi folks!!

one of my friends has loads of watercress growing in a stream that runs through his garden....  we're of the opinion that you should only eat the cress if the water is very clean..

does anyone know where we could get a water quality testing kit?  and what should we be testing for to make sure that it is safe to eat?

Thanks,  Clare

cleo:
Hi Clare

No real knowledge on this one but I would have thought that if the stream has a good balance of wildlife in it that would be some indication.

Also you will be washing it thoroughly,might be an idea to contact the water authority as well.

Stephan.

Muddy_Boots:
Definitely watercress for eating has to come from very pure water.  With Steph on this one, water board consultation!

However, does sound as if your supply is healthy

tim:
With farming practices today, there is no guarantee that, if you did a test today, it would be safe tomorrow?

A test kit could cost you £100 or so - including clinical analysis.

You can always grow it like we do - in trays? But I would hate to see the real stuff going to waste! = Tim

Hugh_Jones:
The parasites of sheep liver fluke spend a part of their life in water snails, until they are released.  If this should occur, or if a rat should urinate into the stream, the day after your analysis has proved the water clean you might find that eating the watercress had some strange effects

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version