Author Topic: Kestrel spuds - any good?  (Read 1893 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Kestrel spuds - any good?
« on: March 06, 2007, 14:03:47 »
I've bought some Kestrel seeds spuds from Wilkos, just wondered if anyone has tried them before, and what are they like?
 :)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Kestrel spuds - any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 14:29:03 »
our kestrel are second earlies and are going out tomorrow in warmed ground under fleece..I've heard they have good resistance to slugs so we'll give them a proper testing 'cos we've got lots of slugs  ;D

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 14:29:50 »
I've grown Kestrel, and plan on growing them again this year, I found them to be very good particularly for chipping and roasting :) Had no slug damage with them.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 14:30:52 »
I had a few rows of them last year and thought they were very good - no slug damage and very tasty.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 14:35:33 »
Kestrel is my favorite second early - it's the only one I grow now. Makes wonderful chips and roasties just when you are fancying them again after the new potatoes. They seem to lose their flavour by about October - but that's not a problem as the maincrops will be in by then. They are also the prettiest of potatoes and have a kindly nature - they were very sweet with me when I was an absolute beginner.
Chantenay.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 14:46:02 »
Excellent potato but watch them if you boil them!! One minute they are OK next they are mush but for chips & bakers can't beat them.

Plus slug resistant and good for the showbench.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 15:14:53 »
our kestrel are second earlies and are going out tomorrow in warmed ground under fleece..

Have you chittedn them first scousers, or is this not necessary?  I've put mine in egg boxes as I thought this was general practice for spuds, but have since read that you don't always need to...

Chantenay - I'm glad they are kindly spuds as I am a beginner and have never grown spuds before!

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 15:27:19 »
yes, they've been chitting for 6 weeks now, nice little sprouts on them..by the way, they're going in to raised beds so the soil's not too wet and we don't stand on it so it's not compacted   :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 16:22:03 »
I've also got Kestrel, first time for me though, loads of the lotties on my site recomended them.   ;D ;D ;D :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 18:27:09 »
"One minute they are OK next they are mush"

They are just a bit mischievous aren't they?
Chantenay.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 18:37:16 »
Always grow a couple of rows of Kestrel.  Always clean and damage free!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 21:45:55 »
I agree with all the comments on Kestrel's flavour and cooking qualities, it is a very good modern tasty variety, it is also the one to grow to win prizes in the "Coloured Potato" class of your local show

On boiling, many potatoes exhibit this tendency (it is the second most popular topic when answering questions at shows on potatoes - the first is how to stop slugs) The answer is not to peel them (most of the vitamins are just under the skin) - you only need to do this of get rid of the nasty chemicals commercial growers use - and then steam them - they can still break up but they don't "dissolve" in the water.

Phil

PS I would take the bit about slug resistance with a pinch of salt - having talked to many growers, there is no such thing as a slug resistant variety, some do better for some growers under their conditions than others but gardens a short distance apart can produce extremes of results - my Picasso were untouched by the pests, mt neighbour harvested only empty shells (and didn't thank me for recommending the variety!!) ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 22:06:01 »
I plant loads of kestrel each year. Hardly lose any to disease. I dont use any other 2nd early now. Delicious ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 23:27:34 »
Yep - definitely a good-un  ;D
Have grown them for the last 3 or 4 years, and they have shrugged off slug attacks with hardly any damage - which is a godsend on our plot !
They seem to like enormous quantities of poo, as last year (with copious manuring) we had loads of the biggest bakers we've ever dug !
Good for roasties and mash too, we will be planting three rows again this year  8)

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:03:01 »
I grew them last year and they made the nicest chips ever - lovely and crispy.

davy1

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 14:42:10 »
Turning over today in my old potato plot prep for my brassicas to go in i dug out these potato,s Kestrel, Nadine and Maxine none had any slug damage after being in for all most a year

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/stumpinsci/Picture002.jpg 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 14:45:13 by davy1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal