Author Topic: Rotavator!!  (Read 1471 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Rotavator!!
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:11 »
I've turned over my last bit of rock hard Spanish terrain by hand!! The OH says I can go out and buy myself a rotavator!! Do you know a good one to buy? or any pitfalls to look out for?? I´m soOO excited!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Rotavator!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:29 »
I've had 4 over the years &, for a ladyperson, assuming that you've broken the back of it - without doing yours in - I would go for the Honda 201.

Light enough to be easily moved around but enough punch to do a good job.

Ted_H

• Not So New ...
  • Who says non organic won't harm you !!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:43 »
How about hiring one first. It does seem a bit of an expense for something that gets used once or twice a year.
 Also make sure you havent got couch grass, we turned over a small patch with a rotorvator and all it did was to chop it up into bits and made clearing it harder.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:34:52 »
Nice thought.  But, how many hires=one roto?

Couch? They do say that:
a. If you continually cut it at 4", it will give up. Whether before you or not I know not!
b. And if you keep the roots on the move, with no chlorophyll, same thing.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 12:14:58 »
OH just bougth me a mantis 4 stroke - with honda engine. Not used it yet so can't comment. But I chose it on various reviews and recommendations.  Tim's Honda sounds excellent but I think it is a bit more pricey than the mantis so was out of my budget range

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 12:49:04 »
congrats

I have always wanted one but i cant see that i would use it enough to justify the cost.

I have my beds managable now that they should not need rotivation more than one every 3 years so i have decided to save for a decent fruit cage instead.

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 20:51:51 »
i am one definitly for rotorvators, they make work so much easier, just remember to pick the couch out as you go, check my website http://lottieblogs.co.uk/gallery.aspx for some pictures of our beauty we got on ebay for 0.99p  8)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 20:54:18 »
What was the postage?  ;D

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 22:25:35 »
Looks like my Mountfield i also got off ebay, not for 99p though.
Bet there was no postage, local pick up only i suspect.
Probably only got it for 99p, as no one else lives in such a remote area, that no one wanted to bid any higher, let alone travel miles to pick it up.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 22:26:07 »
There was a word game on TV a couple of days ago that said rotavator was the longest palindrome,

Some people spell it rotovator, even ebay.  :o
Is that the American way of spelling it?

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 22:37:24 »
I would have thought it was the american way of spelling it.
We all know that a palindrome is a word that is spelt the same backwards, dont we???
The yanks have to be different! ::)
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 17:42:45 »
no it came on ebay as i found it as a mis spelling and thus i got in there, it was a non starter however a tweak here and there and works like a beauty all for 99p love it

postage was free - local pick up from solihul

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 17:42:02 »
Chap on the plot next to mine has a Mantis and reckons it's the dogs do dahs.  I was given a Ryobi petrol strimmer as a leaving present last year and my daughters bought me the tiller head for Christmas.  Whilst this would not be ideal for large areas, it will be great for tilling down small areas requiring that 'little bit extra' and I get to keep the grass short too!. Let us know what you decide.TC

KevTetley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 18:25:45 »
Im new to the allotment scene.  I have just got my first plot and hope to start digging at the weekend.
It hasnt been cultivated for 2 years, but the previous old fella had great results there.
The patch is covered in clumpy grass about 8inches high.  Any ideas about how to takle it?   Stim?  Rotavate?  Thanks

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 20:05:10 »
With a new patch i would dig by hand and weed as much as possible....then rotovate in the spring......Far too wet at the moment,well it is here in My litle area of Derbyshire.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal