Author Topic: Grass trimmers  (Read 5470 times)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Grass trimmers
« on: May 08, 2004, 12:48:50 »
Help, please fellow horticuluralists, if you can...  Does anyone have any experience of the Wolf battery operated grass trimmer?  
The product can be seen here:
http://www.wolf-garten.com/public_uk/produkte/prod02a.hbs?article_id=1002539949&produktgruppen=a949572430e&themen=alle&monate=alle

The paths on my allotment as driving me crazy  :'(  
I've spend a packet on various gadgets all of which are tougher than I am!  The grass is growing faster than I can trim it.  I currently use long-handled trimming shears and there is only so much you can do with these before your arms ache furiously.

I've already tried a petrol mower which had a mind of its own and because it was heavy, was a beast to control and a challenge to start.  Then it was the petrol strimmer.  This was a nightmare too as I wasn't strong enough to get it started never mind carry it around.

As our lottie site is hundreds of years old and the paths have reduced in width over time and now are only just wide enough to accomodate a mower - even a 12" cut push mower which is my latest purchase is going to be tricky.  But the grass is so long that I can't get the push mower though it.

So, my research led me to the Wolf item but I'm reluctant to spend more money if it just isn't going to be tough enough for the job

If you have any other suggestions for a girlie device to get the grass down to a reasonable height I'd be pleased to hear them.  No good recommending the help of a person of the male persuasion - other half isn't interested and when I asked one of the chaps at the lottie if he and his mower were for hire he thought I was propositioning him!   :o  
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Grass trimmers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 17:40:56 »
sorry no idea about battery strimmers-but I am a bit dismayed that someone else couldn`t do the job for you-have lotties changed over the past 11 years?. There was a time that we would all muck in and lend others a hand.

Stephan.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 21:10:08 »
I have a 12v B&D battery strimmer. It does well for about 10 mins. That's enought time for most jobs. Quite effective and happy with it.

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 23:32:08 »
I saw a long handled sickle-type thing in a garden centre today for about £20.  We had an old sickle last year and it was fantastic - much easier than the shears we were using.  It was stolen when the shed was robbed though but we've seen another old-style one in Doncaster and am hoping that our friend there will be posting / bringing it to us shortly.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 20:29:20 »
Hi allotment chick, :-)  
I asked a similar question a few posts down (April 19). if you`d like to take a look. It was never really resolved. At the moment I`m still doing it the old fashioned way, with shears, but as you say this gets painful.
ahh? you mean trimmer rather than strimmer?
Col
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 20:34:16 by Columbus »
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 21:18:52 »
By 'eck. All this modern gadgitry but we still prefer the old fashioned tools, eh?

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 21:56:09 »
10000 years of tool evolution can't be wrong!!!
My latest, greatest tool is an onion hoe.  I'm thinking that it's going to be seeing some action this year.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 09:37:04 »
I too would be interested to hear ways of controlling grass on a plot
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 12:33:47 »
I spent the morning with the shears doing my paths.  I now have arms that I can barely lift!  That was hard work, and it will be back again within a week!!  Fortunately Ava has a petrol strimmer, but do you think he ever has the time to get up there and strim.   :-\

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 13:00:14 »
We bought a battery operated strimmer from Aldi a couple of weeks ago for around £25 I think? The battery doesn't last long but it's done a great job on our grass forest (and the battery is rechargeable).

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 13:32:42 »
can you get spare batteries and charge them up ?
 ????
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 17:20:04 »
Hi y'all
Thank you for your replies. It's no good - I can't get on with a strimmer at all - I'm the wrong shape, I think ..... and apart from that, the trimmings fly everywhere!  I've emailed Wolf-Garten for their comments on the shears so I'll let you know if I get a reply.

pt - I'm lethal with a narrow home made hoe, managing to decapitate the plants and leave the weeds, so the thought if me wielding a sickle is too ghastly to consider  :o  

AC x

PS Stephan - equality is flourishing in West London - every person for themselves in the mowing department regards of gender, age, disability or anything else  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 17:29:04 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 11:14:46 »
ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN GET UPRIGHT SHEARS ?? BENDING DOWN TO SHEAR GRASS IS A KILLER ON THE SPINE....I DONT TRUST A SCYTHE NOT TO LOP OFF MY LEGS OR MY RUNNER BEANS

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 11:55:03 »
You can - like edging shears on their sides. OK for taking off the tall seedheads that seem to survive mowing, but I don't think I'd fancy trying to use them on a big job.
Sumer is a coming in....

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 13:26:43 »
Hmmm....yes. Perhaps your right....i guess il save up for a petrol strimmer[/glow]

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 13:27:33 »
perhaps your right...i think il wait and save for a petrol strimmer

JAL

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 22:51:55 »
Hi,

I use a battery strimmer - not sure what make as it is down on the lottie - just bring the battery back for recharging.  I have been using it now for 2 yrs with no problems.  Some of the other people on site use weedkiller at the beginning of the season on the paths around their plot.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 07:59:57 »
:-) For people writing about shears etc...

There`s a review of long handled lawn edging shears in his weeks Gardening News (£1.30 from Sainsburies or the Co-op)  Its not in-depth but may be useful to some. Does anyone have any success with this type of tool on weedy edges?

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 09:38:58 »
These battery ones seem quite cheap in comparison to petrol, considering the advances in cordless tools I may decide to this route, anyone got any advice or warnings re models / brands ????

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 11:10:21 »
I've gone all low-tech and ordered up a grass-hook (sickle by another name) and machete. Won't run out of petrol or amps, might get me a trip to casulty, but should work on vandals as well as weeds  ;D

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal