Author Topic: Soil Testing Kit  (Read 2665 times)

Good Gourd2

• Quarter Acre
Soil Testing Kit
« on: February 01, 2007, 18:46:26 »
Can anyone recommend a soil testing kit, I would like to test the soil on my allotment. I do not want anything to technical so keep it simple please.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Soil Testing Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 22:55:09 »
Hi, GG2, and welcome to A4A, Don't think we've met yet.
Soil testing kits;   
  It's getting to be something of a minefield out there with all those soil testing kits and gadgets and I don't blame you if your a bit confused.
   First off; Yes, there are quite a lot to choose from. There are those that you can use time and time again and those 'one go jobbies.'
   Both have their uses, which doesn't, as yet, answer your question...hang about.
   The 'one time use' ones are good if you use them in the right way. These are the ones that need you to collect a soil sample for testing. Instructions always come with the kit, but basically speaking, you put soil into a container and the provided chemicals will give you a pH read out.
The re-usable ones work in a different way. This is not a kit but a meter. You make a hole in the soil and put the probe of the meter into it after putting a drop of water into the soil. Again you get a read out but it's usually a meter reading saying 'Acid' - Neutral - Alkaline/Chalky and a needle moves on the scale.
OK! Now what's what? Well, the first one is good as an initial test and is usually quite accurate, it's done by taking soil samples from different parts of your plot....read the instructions.
The second one is handy to keep a track through the seasons as to any drastic change...drastic because they are not as sensitive or as accurate as a soil sample test.

Having said all that; If you're planning to work previously worked ground, I wouldn't worry too much about pH values as soil can be 'conditioned' for your average crops.

I have a pH vaue list if you want it but don't worry too much about it....just get on with it.

Looking forward to your input on progress.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:30:27 »
I attend a part time course at the local horticulture college & as part of the RHS courses they have a session on a Saturday where you can take your own soil to test as part of the session

Good Gourd2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:40:44 »
Thankyou kenkew for your reply I think I will go for the one off. I agree with you to go for it normally but I have had so many failed brussels for 4 years now after walking on the ground to firm it putting the plants in deep and ever other thing that I can think of. I have now heard that it could be a lack of lime.  I am not moaning realy because I don`t do badly really, main 2 problems are this with the brussels and flee beetle the latter I can combat with a bit of forward planing and sheer bl.... mindedness. Thanks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 19:06:30 »
Hi GG2 I've just bought but not used yet a tenax soil tester kit its one where you put the soil in but there's 8 capsules for 8 tests and you can get replacement capsules.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 19:58:50 »
One thing you need to keep in mind with soil test kits is how long they have been on the shelf...the chemicals really only have a 2 year life so I would avoid any that look a little dusty ;). I personally prefer "West Meters" kits....but then Im biased & used to work for them many years ago ;D.....Ive got their "PH, N, P, K SOIL TESTING KIT" last year when they had a stall at the Malvern show & its done a stirling job so far for my lotty....

Saz

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Soil Testing Kit - is it working??
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:10:07 »
Hi Kenkew

Only saw this posting after posting mine today but thought I would copy it here in case no-one sees the original posting.

I thought that I would be wise and purchase a proper meter seeing that I will be using it for years instead of that little phial thingy magigy.  So I have purchased a PH soil meter.  Now it does not seem to be working as it is registering 7 all over my plot? ???  Or am I lucky with a reading of 7??

How do I test to see if it is broken?  I am not sure what to do now as my brassica  and asparagus beds is also registering 7 - to me that seems to be a good reading??  Anyone used one of these things before - it does not use batteries but has a long prong like attachment which you insert into the ground and wait 60 seconds for a reading - well mine does not move off 7!  Any ideas would be welcome.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:23:25 »
You need to mix a sample with water. I use mine by scraping a small hollow with a trowel then adding some clean water, mix to a muddy consistancy and put the probe in. Some say to use distilled water but if you use water from the same source for all your tests you should get fairly close.

I suggest you delete the whole of the other topic on this same subject.

As starter of that topic only you can remove it....the button is at bottom left of the page.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal