Author Topic: Copper collars to deter slugs  (Read 9787 times)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Copper collars to deter slugs
« on: March 05, 2007, 22:19:19 »
I posted this in pests and diseases, but not sure if anybody read it.

You can purchase copper collars to put round vulnerable plants to deter slugs, but the price is prohibitive, so I thought a cheaper alternative would be to obtain some soft copper pipe and make my own.

Get some 8mm soft copper pipe, the sort they use for small bore central heating etc, and cut it into lengths of approx 21" for 7 " diameter, or 12" for 4" diameter, form into a circle, join the ends with a bit of 6mm wooden dowel and there you have it.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Copper collars to deter slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 22:49:46 »
Good idea Quizz, I use them to surround my runner beans when  put them in, just the lengths of piping, seems to help! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 15:15:50 »
I wonder if heavy duty electrical wire would do the same job?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 17:32:51 »
I got some self-adhesive copper tape which seemd to work.

Worth getting some copper tacks as well as tends to peel back off rough wood (especially if applied by OH).

Has anyone tried NemaSlug?

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

Looks a bit pricy - probably only worth it for show gardeners.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 20:00:31 »
we used nemaslug on our potatoes last year, I won a prize so decided to try it..trouble is, it only works for 6 weeks so should have re applied it, didn't and got slug damage..i think it's a bit pricey if you have to use it right through the growing season  :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 00:37:35 »
I wonder if heavy duty electrical wire would do the same job?

Any shiny copper works when the copper dulls you need to replace it. If you used wire you would need to wind it round several times to make a wider strip so the slugs can't get over it without touching it. If it is used directly on the ground rather than wrapped around a pot it will prevent the slugs on the suface crossing but there are lots underground as well some of which can get trapped inside the copper boundary if they surface there.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 11:34:49 »
Thinking of how I once saw someone mend a fuse with a bit of tinfoil (not allowed and dangerous, I know!) I wonder if anyone has used tinfoil to deter slugs?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 22:35:38 »
That is a very good question!
I think that copper is supposed to work because it gives slugs a bit of a shock, tinfoil does the same if you chew it and have a filling in your mouth, so I'm guessing it might? It would be a lot cheaper too!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 23:47:00 »
We have used the nemaslug for several years now, and never remember the second application but it is showing a cumulative effect... fewer slugs grow up to have babies so fewer to kill....
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:33:33 »
I'm going to use nemaslug on my raised beds for sure, also only used one application (expensive!) on my raised beds at home with good results. I'm tempted to do a mini trial with the tinfoil though!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 07:02:24 »
deb.................do ya know of anyone offering a tin foil chewing service............?

would like to try this too............but think the oh would defo think id lost the plot if she came home and caught me chewing my way thru 6 packs of bacofoil?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 08:08:56 »
deb.................do ya know of anyone offering a tin foil chewing service............?

Perhaps I could rent my dog out for this. She loves chewing foil, especially if it has had chocolate in it!

cj :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 17:28:01 »
i have used copper pan scourers ( the crinkley ones) you unravel them so theres a tube ,cut a few inches off and strech it over the pot. they can be bought cheaply at discount stores as in the tape does not work so well when tarnished
marg 8)
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 15:43:21 »
This sounds and is a bit ghastly but seemed to work.  If you go to a hairdressers and collect the swept up hair trimmings and put these either round the plants you are trying to protect or on the outsides of a border. Apparently slugs don't like walking over it as their trail can't slide on the hair!  I tried it one year but it did look a bit strange!

The other thing - and this has probably already been suggested - spent coffee beans.  Unfortunately, I can't get enough down here in Minehead as we don't have proper "coffee shops" like Starbucks or whatever!

I have tried this year seaweed in my polytunnel which I have allowed to dry, chopped up into little bits and am waiting to see what happens.  The seaweed gets sharp edges and again slugs don't like it!

Good luck

;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:47 »
This sounds and is a bit ghastly but seemed to work.  If you go to a hairdressers and collect the swept up hair trimmings and put these either round the plants you are trying to protect or on the outsides of a border. Apparently slugs don't like walking over it as their trail can't slide on the hair!  I tried it one year but it did look a bit strange!

I definitely wouldn't reccommend trying that as the hair from a hairdressers floor will be full of all kinds of nasty chemicals & dyes. Hairdressers do not seperate the treated & untreated hair so if you use it as a mulch/slug barrier it will leach those chemicals into the ground & you will end up eating all that rubbish.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 13:33:15 »
Use a gents' hairdresser in an all-white area.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 17:56:41 »
I got some copper wire from a scrap merchants - big bundle of it for about £7

I've woven it into rings (about 1/2 cm thick and 3 inches across)

Put it round my lettuces and did an 'experiment' with a couple of plants that didn't have the ring round them.

The result? The couple of plants WITHOUT the ring have disappeared with 'munch' marks round them.

I'm not ENTIRELY convinced yet though. It's been dry here so the slugs are waiting in the wings for a bit of rain to activate them!

I am also experimenting with catlitter - someone one here suggested this! Thank you for the tip  ;D

The price of copper has gone UPWARDS and UPWARDS over the last few years so it's quite pricey to use this method of pest control (and have you SEEN the prices some on-line gardening sites are charging for copper collars??? OUTRAGEOUS)

I had an ingenious idea yesterday that my 1p & 2p collection (coppers!) would be able to do the job.

No such luck  ::)

The copper content of pennies changed from about 95% to 5% when the price of copper went up.

HOWEVER! The pennies are copper plated (albeit to a small%)  I may experiment yet again  ;D

There's always a copper lining to every dark cloud!

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 21:22:26 »
Use a gents' hairdresser in an all-white area.
A result Robert.
Been pondering on the use of hair clippings(male only I might add) for years.
My 'shearing shed' proprieter reckons they are compostable.
Another debate coming up?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 22:09:16 »
we've used dog hair, and it works  :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:33 »
I certainly vouch for the copper tape as a deterrant for slugs and snails. Tried the stuff out on hosta pots this year and its worked a treat. I would agree though the tape is a bit pricey if you ahve a lot to do and is no good for protecting border/veg plot plants. Any cheaper home made alternative is well worth a go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal