Author Topic: Help..Parsnips chitted seed  (Read 1102 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Help..Parsnips chitted seed
« on: March 04, 2007, 15:19:12 »
Hi, I read that someone  chits there parsnip  before planting because of the poor and slow germination.  I usually direct seed but as I have had feast and famine years with my own I decided to try it. What I didn't find out is how long it takes to sprout and of course it has done so in 5 days when I was expecting a couple of weeks.Germination is excellent,almost every seed but....I can't plant it yet. It is blowing a roaring gale outside with torrential rains so can't  get to the lottie to do it ( I usually plant is a deep raised bed that is prepared   but no chance today)

These seeds will die if I don't do something with them, does anyone know if I plant them in little Jiffy sevens will that hold them till next week, then I can plant the whole thing.Never heard of it personally but it is the only thing I can think to do

Other ideas very much appreciated at this point
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Help..Parsnips chitted seed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 15:23:36 »
just planted ours in rootrainers as ours did the same..the weather's torrential here so no plot 'til thursday..I think you need a bit deeper than a jiffy..depends when you can plant..manics

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 15:37:57 »
Not till Saturday unless we get a decent evening,John my husband is a wonderful fella but doesn't do seeds and transplanting unless I am right there, and I am at work till Saturday. I will put them in the jiffy's I guess and try and hang on or pot the jiffys mid week in the dark XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 16:45:23 »
I planted mine in loo rolls - 2 each - last weekend but no sign of anything yet.  [Maybe a bit short notice to suddenyl produce enough loo rolls  :)]

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 17:41:25 »
John is in the bathroom counting the loo rolls as we speak, but only 18. maybe I can make paper rolls with sugar paper,does the paper then break down OK.I could do that using a loo roll as a guide. Thank you Jeannine

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 19:24:53 »
the paper pots might be ok as they would rot down if you search on here there is a link to the instructions

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 22:06:36 »
Don't think loo-roll shaped sugar paper rolls would stand up to the watering though thin card might do if you are thinking of raiding the stock cupboard tomorrow!  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 14:46:18 »
Can I suggest you leave them on the paper and spray them to avoid them drying out.

Then when the ground is suitable cut the paper into strips with chitted seed on each strip and sow paper and seeds in shallow drill and cover with sifted compost.

Don't attempt to remove seed from paper, if you do  you will break the tap root rendering them useless.

This beats all the palaver of loo rolls etc!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 17:54:03 »
That sounds like really good advice Tee Gee, I've currently got some refusing to germinate in loo rolls so think I'll try your way when the weather improves a bit.  Thanks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 17:59:35 »
Well that was good advice but....gave OH strict instructions  about an hour ago and sent him off to the lottie,they are now in a raised bed,with double fleece on them,and presuming he hasn't buried them 6 inches down maybe we will get some, I am going to get more though just in case,Does anyone have a good variety to suggest.The ones we had were Panache. Thank you XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal